Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was brought up in another thread, but I figured it needed to be addressed in its own thread.

A couple of things I have learned about the Samurai:

1. There are only 7 different factory cut key patterns, that means there is a 1 in 7 chance that someone elses key will fit your Zook.
2. No matter how shiney the snaps are, some idiot is gonna slice open the soft top instead of simply unsnapping a few buttons.
3. That simple hidden toggle switch that can save you when stalling on an obstacle can also keep the Zook from starting when the wrong person is trying to take it*.

*There is a clutch safety switch on your clutch pedal that has to be depressed when you start the vehicle. You may be able to feel it when you have the pedal almost all the way to the floor. This is the reason you have to push in the clutch pedal before the ignition kicks in.

Rock crawlers have been known to bypass that switch so that they could get out of a jam on a technical obstacle. If you stall in a bad situation where pushing in the clutch (to start it back up again) would cause you to move the wrong way and maybe fall off an obstacle, then being able to use the starter to 'creep' forward would save the day. In most situations it also starts the vehicle again - bonus! This is done without even touching the clutch pedal.

You can also put in a toggle switch so that even when you push in the clutch, it still won't start unless the toggle switch has been flipped.

The last crawler I set up with a hidden toggle had three positions.
- always off (won't start)
- factory stock (everything works like normal)
- crawler (depressed clutch not required to crank the starter)

A word of caution - if you really have no experiance with simple electrical circuits, stick to pulling fuses. Don't screw up your electricals experimenting...
;)

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I first ran the white zook as a daily driver, I had a nice Kenwood system that would cover itself in the dash, along with 16 component speakers and a few amps - all hidden except for the kick panels and a pair of tweets in the doors. Never had a problem 'cause it didn't look 'flashy'. I would constantly park downtown on the street with no doors or a top.

·
Registered
181 Posts
What year or engine size did they start installing these switches.
I'm only asking because my 82 970cc sami dosen't have one and
I bought it from the dealer brand new.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts