Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I have problem with my sammy 1.3 8V 1987. The head has bad cam and it has noise. So I have to replace hole head. Fortunately I have 1.6 8V vitara engine with bad block, so I decide to put its head on sammy 1.3.

As I have measured nearly everything is the same exept fual pump, which sammy has mechanical, and vitara has electric, so I have to make electric fual pump for the sammy now. and the intake valve diameter is a little bit larger, then on sammy 1.3 head, but I think it will go.

The problem for vitara 1.6 8V head is that, one valve is burned, so I have to replace it, but I am planning to replace all vitara intake valves with sammy 1.3 head intake valves, so after that valves will be the same diameter and sammy will have all valve in good shape.

In addition I have to check cams, if both heads has the same type of cam, so they are opening and closing cams in same time.

If this will not help and I will not be able to put 1.6 8V head on 1.3 sammy engine I will have to buy new one, which is not quit easy to do because I leave outside US and shipping is the problem and costly.

Please help me with your advises.

Regards,
Misha

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Ok, it is possible to put a 1.6/8v head on a 1.3 motor. It is usually done for a little higher performance. That is because the valves are larger... I have never tried pulling the 1.3 valves and fitting them in a 1.6 head before, but I think (because they are smaller) you are not going to get them to work...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, it is possible to put a 1.6/8v head on a 1.3 motor. It is usually done for a little higher performance. That is because the valves are larger... I have never tried pulling the 1.3 valves and fitting them in a 1.6 head before, but I think (because they are smaller) you are not going to get them to work...
So you mean head will fit on 1.3 engine, but valves from 1.3 head will not work on 1.6 head? (sorry I couldn't get it?)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Ok, it is possible to put a 1.6/8v head on a 1.3 motor. It is usually done for a little higher performance. That is because the valves are larger.
Also the ports are much larger and the camshaft runs more duration and a little more lift. You may need to change the camshft pulley for the 1.3 pulley to ensure that the teeth shape is correct.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Also the ports are much larger and the camshaft runs more duration and a little more lift. You may need to change the camshft pulley for the 1.3 pulley to ensure that the teeth shape is correct.
you are right, thanks for help. :rolleyes:

I think pulleys will fit from samurai head to 1.6 head?

·
Registered
27 Posts
i know this is an old post but, what kind of power difference do you get with the 1.6 head? is it noticable?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
i know this is an old post but, what kind of power difference do you get with the 1.6 head? is it noticable?
Not really 'seat of pants' noticable, but I'll bet the dyno would show an increase. Then again, a simple header install or a high flow muffler would do the same.
Years ago folks would swap parts just because of a chance of getting more out of the 1.3 (wouldn't you?). I think if someone redesigned a 1.3 for more strength (block AND internals) then we might see more power with less breakage.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
If you were to fit a bigger carb and a modded intake manifold you would soon realise that the 1.3 head isn't really the restrictive part of the 1.3 motor

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not really 'seat of pants' noticable, but I'll bet the dyno would show an increase. Then again, a simple header install or a high flow muffler would do the same.
Years ago folks would swap parts just because of a chance of getting more out of the 1.3 (wouldn't you?). I think if someone redesigned a 1.3 for more strength (block AND internals) then we might see more power with less breakage.
has anyone heard of a 1.6 crank in 1.3(stroker) or completely impossible?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Not possible, the main and big-end bearings are much bigger, the Swift GTi crank does fit though and is a forged steel item. Ultimately though the 1.6 offers lots more torque and power and is an easy swap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts