Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has invested in a 86 sammi, runs great but smokes like no other. We have changed the vavle seals, installed a new fuel pump, and pcv. It's a bluish gray smoke, and it's pretty much all the time. It almost smells like raw fuel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
686 Posts
Oil smoke is often blue-ish or gray, unburned fuel in my experience can be about any color but usually black if rich. Valve seals are one way for oil to enter the cylinder but also the lowest ring on the piston (oil control ring) it can wear and allow oil to pass up into the cyl, burn and be expelled through the exhaust in the same way.

Assuming it's in good tune, fresh fuel, clean filters and all maintenance current I would pull the plugs and see if they indicate a rich/lean mixture, oil fowling or possibly coolant seeping into the cyl. If your not sure what that looks like you can google "how to read spark plugs" and see pictures of how to interpret them. If your still not sure post a well lit close-up pic of the plugs here. All four plugs should be pretty consistent with each other. While the plugs are out is an excellent time to go ahead and do a compression test. It will help rule other stuff out.

Just for fun, does this beast have the original carb and emissions stuff on it? Any mods? What approximate locality are you in?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Cool, we're looking for the cylinders to be fairly consistent with each other and hopefully in the low/mid 100s. I'm not sure what the spec for a fresh Samurai is off the top of my head.

·
Registered
686 Posts
That sounds great, cant ask for more consistency than that. Now the plugs should give us some clue as to what your burning to create exhaust smoke. Any idea how old the gas thats in it is?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts