Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have a 1986 Samurai and it jumps out of second gear when coasting. Stays in gear when pulling. Only happens in second. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Mike:confused:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Assuming you have been through the normal checks like anything interfering with shifter, motor mounts, fluid level etc, I would venture to say synchro or bearing.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assuming you have been through the normal checks like anything interfering with shifter, motor mounts, fluid level etc, I would venture to say synchro or bearing.
Thanks for the reply. I had rebuilt the trans with a complete bearing and syncro kit from Lowrange Offroad. I fear that I may have gotten a syncro in wrong. I noticed thet it also does not go into fourth gear without grinding a little unless you hesitate between shifts. I am going to drive it for now and maybe just go through my other trans and try to do a better job.
Mike

·
Registered
686 Posts
Did you replace the shift sheet (cute little bronze or nylon collar directly under the shifter)?I dont mean to sound like a dickhole but it would be easy to miss :D

Exactly what fluid did you use to fill?

I recently rebuilt my trans as well and went through some different fluids with notably different results.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you replace the shift sheet (cute little bronze or nylon collar directly under the shifter)?I dont mean to sound like a dickhole but it would be easy to miss :D

Exactly what fluid did you use to fill?

I recently rebuilt my trans as well and went through some different fluids with notably different results.
Hi,
Yes, I replaced the shift sheet. I am using a 75w 140 synthetic fluid. I was thinking also that I might need to change that. What do you use Casey ?
Also, I don't take anything you say as being a dickhole, I am happy to have the input and help.
Thanks again,
Mike

·
Registered
686 Posts
Mike

I started out with the Amsoil Synthetic GL4 and it was fussy shifting. I left that in for a while as it was spendy so I decided to allow a few miles for the trans to break-in. Of course nothing changed so I drained it out after maybe a couple thousand miles and went with standard GL5 gear oil recomended for manual transmissions. I put on a couple hundred miles and it was an improvement but still less than what I would expect from a fresh gearbox.

I ended up doing a bit of reading and talking with others and was reminded that standard GL4 (not GL5) was a great thing. I looked all over and found only at Ford but some guys are still finding it at NAPA. Using that now for the last 300 miles and its considerably better, I get 3 and 5 so much smoother now. My trans is shifting now as I believe it should except for the high rpm 2nd gear upshift requires a delicate touch or to wait for the driveline to unload, in any event that seems to have been getting better over the last few miles.

Here is a copy of the thread on the Sidekick board that brought this trans fluid discussion on. Also the specific information including part numbers on the straight up non-synth GL4 gear oil.

I never experienced mine popping out of gear, when you decelerate is there vibration? How were the shift forks when you had the trans apart? I think it might be hard to get a synchro wrong, I know I'm reaching here but maybe a lubrication issue is keeping it from engaging fully...

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-sidekick-escudo-vitara-geo-tracker/122426-5-speed-shift-problem.html

I will be interested to know how you proceed and what the results are.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike

I started out with the Amsoil Synthetic GL4 and it was fussy shifting. I left that in for a while as it was spendy so I decided to allow a few miles for the trans to break-in. Of course nothing changed so I drained it out after maybe a couple thousand miles and went with standard GL5 gear oil recomended for manual transmissions. I put on a couple hundred miles and it was an improvement but still less than what I would expect from a fresh gearbox.

I ended up doing a bit of reading and talking with others and was reminded that standard GL4 (not GL5) was a great thing. I looked all over and found only at Ford but some guys are still finding it at NAPA. Using that now for the last 300 miles and its considerably better, I get 3 and 5 so much smoother now. My trans is shifting now as I believe it should except for the high rpm 2nd gear upshift requires a delicate touch or to wait for the driveline to unload, in any event that seems to have been getting better over the last few miles.

Here is a copy of the thread on the Sidekick board that brought this trans fluid discussion on. Also the specific information including part numbers on the straight up non-synth GL4 gear oil.

I never experienced mine popping out of gear, when you decelerate is there vibration? How were the shift forks when you had the trans apart? I think it might be hard to get a synchro wrong, I know I'm reaching here but maybe a lubrication issue is keeping it from engaging fully...

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-sidekick-escudo-vitara-geo-tracker/122426-5-speed-shift-problem.html

I will be interested to know how you proceed and what the results are.
Hi,
I will try GL4 when I get the Sami back. My Daughter and Son in Law are using it for a week behind their motorhome. You Knoe, I was worried about the shift forks also. I may try to find a set and also a new shift lever. I may also tig weld and shape the shift lever end a little. When I build the other trans, I will get new forks and the whole mess.
I will read the thread that you sent and find out about GL4. I truly appreciate the help and I will update as I go along.
Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts