Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey yall.

i just recently pulled my 88 samurai from a scrap yard. it has no rust no transfer case no driveshafts and its been completely stripped. im just piecing it back together and im tryin to give it new life by puttin it back on the road. along with dropping in a rebuilt 1.6.

okay. my only problem is i dont know anything about gears and gear ratios. what gears do i need to run 32" tires? do i need to swap gears for the axels or diffs or just the transfer case or both?

I NEED HELP. any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Since you need to acquire a transfer case, get one
with the better gear ratios installed.
Either choice of very low and moderate low, will
be depending on what you will use your Sami for
most of the time.
Driveshafts can be had from wreckers or club
members who have broken a sami parts vehicle.
A very small lift will clear 32s.
Easiest will be spring and shackles.
More complex is body lift.
More complicated still, spring over axles. (because
you will have to address steering issues)
There are some past posts here dealing with gear ratios.
You will never be sorry you have a Suzuki in your yard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive looked at transfer cases, and there really expensive. I know where to find an empty transfer case. And i can have somebody put the gears in, i just dont know what i need or what to get. Any suggestions? Its gonna be my everyday driver. And itll be going down the interstate. And ill take it hunting with me. But im not gonna tear it up rock climbing or anything. And i know with big tires its gonna put alot of strain on the engine and axels. Plus it has a SPOA suspension kit. So whats my best option? Yall are clearly the experts. And i really appreciate the input.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Go to TrailTough and find the MII or
MightyKong item on the products list.
They list T/Cs with 3 gearing choices
for under $1000

I'd go with the 6.4 for hunting.
The go slow is great and the
impact on the hiway is minimal.

·
Banned
329 Posts
Trail Tough has some of the highest priced tcase gears out there. From what I have read, the quality of their's is really no better than the cheaper ones.
Trail-gear.com and lowrangeoffroad.com have 6.5 tcase gears with a lifetime warranty. Trail Tough gears only have a 1 year warranty, along with being more expensive.
You could also look for some used 4.16, 4.9, 5.1, 6.4, or 6.5 tcase gears.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts