Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've got an '87 Sami. On the inside of the passenger frame rail a couple of feet in front of the rear axle, there are two steel brake lines that go into a steel unit. I assume it is a proportioning valve but I really don't have any idea what it is. Anyway, it is leaking brake fluid.

It drips every now and then but it drips consistently when you keep pressure on the brake pedal.

There are two steel lines coming out of it that go further back to the bracket where the two rubber lines connect and then go to the rear axle.

I assume I should just replace it ? Does anybody know what it is, what it does, how to fix it, how to find a new one ? Advance Auto doesn't show a listing for it so I don't know where to find a new one ?
Any advice please ?

Thanks,
Dave

I can post a picture if someone can tell me explicitly how to upload pix.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't find anything on-line so I will call them tomorrow. Thank you for the information.

I assume that this valve equalizes the pressure to the left rear wheel and the right rear wheel ?
What happens if I just bypass the valve and put some unions in ?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I assume that this valve equalizes the pressure to the left rear wheel and the right rear wheel ?
What happens if I just bypass the valve and put some unions in ?
Then the pressure from left to right will not be controlled. Lose a fitting, wheel cylinder, etc and you will lose both sides right away.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay. That's what I thought but I've never seen a proportioning valve for left and right rear brakes. I'll see if I can find one but if I can't then I'll rig up some unions and see what happens.
Thanks very much for your info and advice,

Dave

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just replaced the same thing on my 1987 tintop a week ago.
I bought it from the dealer, which was the only place I found that had them new.
They call it a pressure metering valve. The Samurai has two of these. The 6 line one in the front is discountinued but they can still get the rear 4 line unit that you need.
It is $123.39 from "suzuki depot". Give them a call if you have any questions. They have always been super helpful over the phone.
Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Online Store

When I replced mine I had my wife watch the fluid level in the resevoir and keep it full. I took off the front fittings and attached them to the new valve. Then I removed the rear fittings off the old valve. By this time the brake fluid had filed the new valve and I and attached the rear lines. Very little air got into the system and the bleeding of the rear drums was quick and easy.

Good Luck !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your help guys.

I decided to put in two $1.89 unions where the proportioning valve was and everything is working fine. Both wheels will lock up on snow if you hit the brakes hard enough and nothing is binding or hanging up.

I would've rather fixed it with the proper valve but that's a lot of money for me, especially when less than $4 at Advance Auto will still make the brakes work without any problems.

Thanks again for everybody's help and advice,

Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts