Hi,

I have a 1986 Samurai.

SOA
body lift
32" kumho MT tires
5 speed manual transmission
carburetor ... 1300cc

my problem:

lost 5th gear on the highway.... vehicle extremely "lazy " to climb steep hills.. I want to take her off road through muddy terrains but I'm afraid with this stock gearing.. it's really a bad idea.

I read of transfer case gearing and rear diff gearing modification.

My mechanic told me to get an earlier model Jimny/Samurai transfer case and that will sole my problem.

All comments are welcomed,
Rick

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
The older equipment isn't really a fix in your case. If you are going to run 32's then you need all the help you can get.
I would suggest upgrading your transfer case gears with 4.16's and then rebuilding your tranny. Those changes will give you the most advantage for the least cash.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beautiful !!!

Any suggestions from whom can I purchase such gears?

I'm from Trinidad and Tobago [Caribbean]

Items can be shipped in from the US with ease ..

Thank you for such a speedy response.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
anyone ever tried this?

4,16 aka Rocklobster
Wow. Now that brings back some memories. Back in the day, manufacturer didn't make aftermarket parts for our zooks - so gears were a pipe dream. Unless you had access to an old SJ410 case and had some great welding skills...
The rocklobster was the first breakthrough crawler component we had. Unfortunately folks started realizing that if you didn't heat treat the part correctly they didn't last very long. Gary at Petroworks turned the gearsets into a reality by nailing the right way to build them so they stayed in one piece. Then he developed the 4.89 gearsets for those of us who had to go even slower or use bigger tires. Lots of history there, but bottom line is unless you have the skills and equipment to heat treat properly, it is less expensive (in the long run) less time consuming and a lot less hassle to just buy a set of gears. The zook aftermarket has come a long way since the early days. You guys are spoiled now, you can hit the net with a cc and have parts delivered that we had to build back then...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^ LOL .... seems to bring back some good old memories there....

A question:

The 4.16 gearset is used for rock crawling ... how good would it work in mudding whre high revs are needed to dig the way out of sloshy , muddy terrains?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
You are running 32's, the 4.16's will barely bring Ýou back to some thing near stock just to give you back some use of 5th gear. With 32's, you will need a lot deeper gears to really 'crawl' so don't worry. Just remember that running stock axles and driveshafts can lead to flying parts when you get a lot of wheelspin and then you catch a stump or log...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you have put my mind at ease with the use of the 4.16..

Yup .. all else is stock ....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts