Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '87 1.3L (JA) Samarai was very difficult to start when cold, but started and ran fine when warm. I wasn't sure that the fuel filter (mechanical) was the problem, but it was 23 years old so I replaced it with a new one. Now it won't start or run at all. Before replacing the new pump, I cleaned the mating surface, used a new gasket, and turned the engine to move the pump rod back into the head housing as far as possible. The new pump mated snug and I tighted the bolts and ensured that the inlet, return, and outflow lines were correctly connected and clamped. When the starter turns the engine over, I see no fuel flow from the pump outflow port. I didn't check the fuel filter, but it was working ok before the pump was changed. Anyone have ideas on this problem ? Of course, the new pump might be bad, but I'm thinking it might be more probable that I've overlooked something.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'd check your fuel supply line for a crack first. Could be it had a small one that opened up when you changed the pump and moved things around. Now it's sucking air instead of fuel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem solved

The problem was the new fuel pump. I replaced fuel line hoses, clamps, and fuel filter, but the problem persisted. No suction at all on the pump inflow port. I put the old pump back on and the the fuel filter reservoir started to fill when I cranked the engine, and the engine started moments later. The new pump has a warranty, but its most likely worthless when the makers or distributors of the pump are confronted with the actual prospect of having to make good on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts