Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
But I crashed my sidekick last week :(
Got a little crazy off roading and crunched the front end. The seat belt saved me but still bruised my shoulder and fractured my sternum, very painful fracture!!
Anyway, I had a tow bar on the front of the car and that saved the engine. It still runs, the hood, fenders, are just all bent up. The tires are brand new with less then 500 miles on them. The fenders are rubbing the tires.
I don't know what to do with the car now. Other then all the body damage it is/was in great shape.
Will somebody buy it like this?
Would a junk yard give me anything for it?
Suggestions? Anybody interested in it?
I just don't have the time or $ to deal with it.

I also want to say thanks to all of you guys for all the help on questions I posted on this forum, you were always a big help!!

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
What's your location? I'd rather see it go to a member. The main junkyard I use doesn't keep them very long and a lot of good parts go to the crusher.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree! I live out in Salton City 92275 (Ocotillo Wells) southern cal desert. I can trailer it to a location for somebody if needed.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Location, Location, Location

I have seen rigs with good bodies junked due to bad trans or motor. Check local craigslist or post it there to be sold for parts.

Or you could just cut off the bad parts and make a off road buggy.
Or you could put a VW Bug body on it.... ;)

Main thing you are "OK".

·
Super Moderator
24,458 Posts
Presumably the frame is intact and not bent. And if so, this is such a simple fix that, if it was me, I wouldn't think about unloading it. Hood and fenders just bolt on and off, as you know. If you were closer, I'd buy it from you and restore it.
You could certainly part it out and get far more than any junkyard would give you, but frankly, it would be sad to see another one of these off the road...:(

·
Registered
339 Posts
If the frame is bent, and looking at the left front it could be, then it's time to sell it as a parts car or let a junkyard take it, but if the frame is straight, then it may be a pretty easy repair.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Presumably the frame is intact and not bent. And if so, this is such a simple fix that, if it was me, I wouldn't think about unloading it. Hood and fenders just bolt on and off, as you know. If you were closer, I'd buy it from you and restore it.
You could certainly part it out and get far more than any junkyard would give you, but frankly, it would be sad to see another one of these off the road...:(
He said he had a tow bar on the front, I have one too, it's pretty solid. If that's what saved his engine the frame could surely be bent, mine is very strong. Like you said though, would hate to see another one off the road, I love these little trucks.

I'm sure just the engine alone would be worth more than the junk yard would give you. Put it on craigslist, there are a lot of these things in Southern CA and AZ. I look there every single day for Trackers. Great for parts.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Wish you were much closer.. I would buy w/wo bent frame. Can't be much to straightening these frames.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So what do you guys think I could get for it? Like I said it still runs, drove it to the side of my house to get it off the driveway. Just paid $500 for the tires that have less then 500 miles on them.

·
Super Moderator
24,458 Posts
Frankly, in its current condition, I would not expect that you would get much. You will get FAR more by parting it out - if money is an issue to you. If it isn't, then someone handy would pick this up in a flash - but you are at the short end of the money stick with the collision damage. And what about the frame????

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
I see from your dash pic, that you have power mirrors and tiltable steering wheel. Those two items would go fast on craigs list around here. Your removable hard top would go even faster. The Top alone would recoup the money you spent on the tires.

randy

·
Registered
467 Posts
So what do you guys think I could get for it? Like I said it still runs, drove it to the side of my house to get it off the driveway. Just paid $500 for the tires that have less then 500 miles on them.
Peel the tires off the rims and you'll get more for them...used tire places here charge $25 to put on a crappy used tire, so $100 could get your good tires off. Essentially, spend money to make money (or lose less anyways):confused:

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Here is something that could be combined with your rig and one good TracKick from the two, only problem it is in Xenia, Ohio. (I have no connection to this...)

Geo Tracker Soft Top | eBay

(Nice 1997 Tracker 2 door with a blown motor. Buy it now: $500.)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I have not been able to really look at the car since the accident left me with a fractured sternum, very difficult to move around too much. Then Saturday a metal box fell on my finger and crushed it. Lots o stitches and another fracture! I am just a hot mess :)

Anyway had somebody over today and we did confirm, the frame is bent, very sad :-(

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
Know how you feel, now into 4th day pain free in 10 weeks..

Is the frame bent before or after the front suspension...

... Philip

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Know how you feel, now into 4th day pain free in 10 weeks..

Is the frame bent before or after the front suspension...

... Philip
Wow! Glad you are doing better. Looking forward to being pain free, but it is going to be weeks.

Hmm not sure, I would guess after? Driver side is bent.

·
Registered
200 Posts
So I have not been able to really look at the car since the accident left me with a fractured sternum, very difficult to move around too much. Then Saturday a metal box fell on my finger and crushed it. Lots o stitches and another fracture! I am just a hot mess :)

Anyway had somebody over today and we did confirm, the frame is bent, very sad :-(
Darn, hope you feel better, take it easy don't do anything dangerous for a while, sorry about your tracker too. My wife drove her brand new Honda Accord off an embankment more like a cliff, lol. She landed 125 off the road on the drivers side, of course she totaled it. That was 8 years ago, she has still never looked at the pics. She's a much better driver now, I can tell you that.

I had a feeling the frame was bent when you said the tow bar saved the engine, mine is pretty heavy duty.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update!!

Sold the car to a guy who has a sidekick, he is using it for parts. He already put the hardtop and tires on his.
I got $2k for it :)

I am healing....pain is less, and I removed my own stitches last week...all is good!

·
Super Moderator
24,458 Posts
Wow, great price, and great news on recovery, too.....:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts