Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 98 Chev Tracker 2wd, 5sp, with the intent of towin it behind my RV. Looking at the manual, it says not to tow with rear wheels on the ground as it will damage the transmission. None of the tow instructs are transmission specific. I would expect that warning for a automatic, but not a manual ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
What you need is a 4wd. The transfer case can be put in neutral and no trans spinning. I have towed mine about 10,000 miles with no issues at all, but I have 4wd. Only need to start it every 4 hours to circulate the oil...

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ok so what is the problem of towing the 2 wheel drive when your transmission is in neutral?

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Ok so what is the problem of towing the 2 wheel drive when your transmission is in neutral?
No lube in the transmission as in neutral the rear bearing and output shaft needle roller support bearing on main shaft is all thats turning, being back driven from the rear wheels.

Therefore, rear bearing and needle roller support overheats, destroying itself, and the rear of the gearbox housing.
4wd transfer case output shaft bearings are down low, bathed in oil so can be flat towed with the transfer in N and main gearbox in 2nd to stop any oil friction in the transfer case back driving into the gearbox

·
Administrator
17,106 Posts
Maybe fit a drive train disconnect?

Reactions: Bear95
1 - 7 of 7 Posts