Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Recently purchased a sami and the driver side heel is rusting, i know this is normal. I just wanted to find out what people have done to cover it up or get rid of it all together. I want to do the best job possible on it so that it won't need to be done again.

Any pictures or suggestions are greatly appreciated. thanks :)

·
Registered
686 Posts
SJ410 & SJ413 : Extremebends.com | Landcruiser Toyota Parts and EBI 4x4 Accessories

Hopefully someone has cheaper options but this is a link someone sent me when I was looking at one that needed floors. I have done VW floors with bulk sheet and a welder, not OEM beautiful but it is effective. If you have a nearby wrecking yard and can find one with good floors you may be able to cut and replace. Good luck on this.

Tony

·
Registered
212 Posts
Washed/dried floor as clean as possible.
Cut plate to fit all floor under peddles.
Used galvanized plate to cover as much of the floor as could be easily reached.
Generously slathered quality waterproof caulk on floor.
Pop riveted metal to floor.
Closely riveted around the rust hole.
Under coated the whole floor under the Sami.
Works after nearly 10 years.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Do you still have the 1/4" hard insulating material on your floorboard or has it all been removed by a previous owner?

When I removed mine, there were other spots of rust/holes hidden underneath, so you must get this stuff out before you will know what you are working with. If it is already out, someone has saved you a lot of time and effort.

Since none of my holes affected the integrity of the floor, I just sanded the rust off to get back to bare metal, treated it with Osphos to treat the metal, primed it, and patched the holes with kitty hair. Once the holes were fixed, I then painted the floorboard with some cheap bedliner paint. Also primed and painted just the patched areas underneath. I can get away with this since my truck is garaged and I don't drive where or when it is going to be wet.

If you can, clean up the rusty area and post a picture of it. If it is very big, then you might need to patch in new metal, If the hole is about an 1" or less, then the kitty hair patch will probably work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts