Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I was thinking about buying a 2004 Suzuki Aerio SX for a cheap little car for the winter and noticed the one I found had an almost rusted through pipe in the rear. It's the pipe that has a sticker that says "Don't apply Jack to this pipe" Is that the rear stabilizer bar? Easy fix or should I pass? Buyer is asking $2000. Car has 140,000 miles. Its awd and everything else looked to be surface rust.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
part of rear axle, if that lets go, watch your wheels fold up and appear inside the car as its ass hits the deck.

I'd be asking the owner to pay you to take it off his hands, if that what you can see, the rest of the car is likely to be worse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That little pipe holds up the rear axle?Lol I can see where it attaches via bolts. I just cant find a part number for just that pipe. Or would you have to buy the entire axle assembly? Thanks

·
Registered
8,412 Posts
That little pipe holds up the rear axle?Lol I can see where it attaches via bolts. I just cant find a part number for just that pipe. Or would you have to buy the entire axle assembly? Thanks
You were advised that the remaining vehicle would present with the same issue, consumed too much oxygen... :eek:

.... Philip

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
its part of the whole rear axle assembly, its all one unit.

And that "little pipe" holds the bottom of the rear axles together. Its all held together by the bigger bit above it which will probably be just as corroded but where you can't see it.

and no, I don't have a part number because if you could get one ex factory it would be more than the cost of the car. Wreckers will be your only chance of finding one.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Ok I found an entire assembly on Ebay for $200. Thanks for the help guys! 😁
don't forget a wheel alignment, and you may need to change some bushings, and probably a lot of the mounting bolts.

Then you will find the next rusted out bit.....I hope for your sake when you unbolt the rear axle sub frame the mounts are still serviceable in the body. Those bolts will possibly be rusted in place and I would not be surprised if you find this job gets bigger and bigger.

Oh, its not a 5 minute job either, Diff mounts on it as well, as does all the rear suspension, brake lines, wheel speed sensor wiring etc.

Walk away from it, I wouldn't buy it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The subframes aren't designed very well and get extremely rusted as it is. I had to have mine sand blasted and re powder coated. The bushings don't seem to suffer much problem. I would however also drop the fuel tank while you are there and derust it as well as the evaporative canister holder. And check all the lines to it. You'll need fuel line disconnect tools for that. Those parts rust like you wouldn't believe when stock. I also recommend replacing every Phillips head on the car with torx or normal bolts. Then I'd spray some Rust-Oleum rust reformer on your entire underbody after giving her a good cleaning and a Scotch-Brite to remove loose rust and scuff remaining paint. Then undercoat the hell out of her. Get an undercoat like boom mat though, as it doesn't stay super tacky. If possible get a fluid film extension nozzle and rust reformer inside every hole in the frame. All up inside there. Then put the fluid film in over that all. Use brake clean to clean the nozzle for future use. (This is if, like me you absolutely love Aerios and want to keep it for years to come. Personally I ground and wire wheeled for days to remove every mm of rust on the underbody. Next one I get I am sand blasting.) Have fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts