Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Samurai and it had carpet in it. It didn't look like the rust was too bad. Took out carpet because I want to put bedliner on it to give it more durability then found this. I'm thinking I'll need to rebuild the wheel wells. While I'm making that I figure I might as well build a lock box to have a spot thatll be secure since I have a rag top. Any help?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rust is a common killer of samurais what kind of help are you looking for? Do you need parts or advice on how to go about repairing the rust issues? Thanks for time.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Mike!!! awesome to see you here!!! welcome!

I think if I were faced with this I would cut out all the rusted areas and (TIG I think..) weld in large pieces from a solid doner vehicle, or even fab up some from metal stock if your talented and ambitious. Is this the only problem area?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mike!!! awesome to see you here!!! welcome!

I think if I were faced with this I would cut out all the rusted areas and (TIG I think..) weld in large pieces from a solid doner vehicle, or even fab up some from metal stock if your talented and ambitious. Is this the only problem area?
Thanks Tony, I have come to realize that if I sell parts but contribute nothing more than that I am not much of an enthusiast. I have never blogged before, probably should have given an introduction to the community. Thanks for the welcome bro!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Well you have my FULL support, my vehicle is much better off because of you, I think your parts make up a pretty decent percentage of my Samurai.

I hope we get to see how this rust issue is resolved.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Many thanks Bro, it has been awesome working with you for all this time, your zuki rocks so knowing I could take part in helping it come together is a real honor and I give thanks. I am with you on seeing the rust repair work, I have been in one too many samurais that had the same troubles LOL New England road salt devours these things. I have a tin top tub now that I am working with that has the rear corner cargo rot and the cargo to the wheel houses.. should be fun HAHA. Thanks for the support Tony!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have seen rust repair done with fiberglass, I have no idea how well it works or how long it lasts, just throwing it out there though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd like suggestions on how to do it. I've been thinking on fabricating ones from metal sheets but wondered if it would be worth or not. I don't have a lot of money to be putting into it right now but I know a couple guys who can help me weld it together.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Do a search for "Suzuki Virtual Lift" that should bring up a few ideas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
rust problem

I used trailer fenders from tractor supply, cut to fit, light angle stock for joining to floor. Used light weight sheet steel bent to shape for the bed and behind the rear seat. Needed to make side panels so more flat stock but it made welding in trailer fenders easier. Cut rockers out at the last bend down. Got some 3 1/2 in thin square tube and found it fit perfect. Cut the front and back to match the body angles and welded pieces to enclose the ends leaving 4in tabs to give more weld surface plus replacing the rot in the front part of the rear wheel well. Welded the seam at the rocker under the door. Found too much rot in the floor boards so the rot was cut out and good metal cleaned up. Used fiberglass repair here, tying the floor to the square tube rocker panels. Added new front fenders and good windshield frame from ebay. Two plus years at speed on dirt roads and no breakage. New rear bumper but found 1 1/4 in sch 40 pipe fits thru front bumper mount tubes so stock bumper is good. Managed to deat it all the way thru.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts