Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any new or exciting products on the market for rust control. My sami has only minimal rust but after last winter and all the salt it's looking bad. I used to use Navel jelly and rustoleum but it's not doing it this year. I'll be grinding out some rusted areas and going back over with rustoleum but I'm hoping there are better options to stop rust other than the wire wheel and a rattle can of rustoleum. I know I cant stop it 100% here has to be a better way than this.

Any ideas other than the traditional marginally ineffective ways I'm more familiar with?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nothing, nobody has a rusty sami? :cool:

Anyone ever try POR15, is it any good?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rust abatement

I did an FJ40 project with Eastman three part rust treatment.
1- Rust Converter - brush on rust, turns it black and stopped.
2- Rust Encapsulator - locks it up - most places you could stop here
3 - Rust preventative - waxy, greasy, "paint" that coats an area and prevents moisture from penetrating... I used it inside doors, frame, undercarriage, fender liners and other places where you won't be touching it or painting over it.
The Truck came out beautifully... I just sold it and got an 87 Tin Top... more fun.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sounds great. I'm glad it worked out and yes, Sami is to much fun to ignore.

A few days after the post I went and got a qt of POR15. It got knocked off the woodstove and hit the floor, popping the lid and spilling. Trust me when I say this stuff is a real MF to clean up. We were able to recover most of it with cereal box lids and plastic cups ($55 qt). So I put off the task until yesterday. Once the lid is off and goes back on you will NEVER get the lid off again, I drove a chissle through the side of the can and poured it into a mason jar. This stuff dries into a super hard shell. I hit areas of the body, full on both bumpers and nerf bars, and went under and hit plenty of areas that were showing rust underneath. It dries super hard and durable so I'm optimistic that it will protect as long as my coverage is adequate.

I'll be going to town to the carwash today as soon as I get the lights and winch put back on. Gonna pressure wash out the inner fenders and a few underneath areas so I can get some more coverage where the salted snow is sure to hit, then more topcoat. I'll be able to give a full review of this stuff come spring. So far I feel good about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hippo bed lined my entire sami and then painted it with a green polyurethane based paint. The liner goes on thick and seals cracks... rust no more.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I have to go through this again I'll probably do a frame off and spray the frame and body with POR15 (looks like super stuff so far) and that polyurethane paint sounds like a wicked top coat. How long has this been working for you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ive had the polyurethane paint on for 6 months and its great. It is also pretty cheap. It goes on very thick and can be applied with a brush. The only reason why i wound up using it is because i didnt like the tint i used in the Hippo Liner. In retrospect i probably would have just painted the sami with the polyurethane paint because the Hippo liner did get a bit expensive... but it is seriously sealed up now. My samurai is being built up more for function and reliability rather than a street show piece.

I would try a small amount of the polyurethane paint and see what you think

1 - 7 of 7 Posts