Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1996 sidetrack 1.6l 16v 5 speed 4 door 4x4.American market. no cel on. had rear main oil seal leak and code for to much power on fuel pump. pulled motor changed rear main seal. while doing that dropped tank and replaced fuel pump and found holes in tank, got new tank. fuel filter was rusted to banjo fittings and fell apart when servicing. replaced with universal filter and rubber injector hose with injector style clamps. cleaned egr twice and the tube. ran fine before i started. now dies at idle and super rich. have checked vacuum lines and changed a few that were suspect. also new plugs gaped to .028 new plug wires and cap and rotor. also fixed crack in air intake tube with rtv so no unwanted air gets in after mass air sensor. dizzy was set at #3. checked timing on timing belt and got tdc and reset dizzy to #1. any help would be awesome. i am at a loss. i have checked all sensors i can find with tester and all seem to be working. i have read for days on this forum but cant seem to put it together.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,376 Posts
96 US model should be OBDII..

First do a fuel system pressure test, complete, then
an OBDII test with a live Data Scanner, FT, O2 Graph, ECT, MAF.. (all CL)

Post results..

..... Philip

·
Registered
5,297 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,990 Posts
All of the above....and as your ignition timing was off, so may your valve timing be, considering one is dependent on the other. You should do a compression test and post your results. Your engine should pull about 190psi on a warm engine......

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it is obd2 and the code i have forgotten but it was voltage to high for the fuel level sending unit. i had ordered one from rockauto and not knowing the difference got a fuel pump sending unit. when i pulled tank i found it was a separate hole and sensor so got that and found holes in the tank so got a new tank. (4door= more) i am old school with my wrenching and need to update or add to my tools. heading to harbor freight to get a fuel tester and a compression tester. i have a scanner but it is a simple one. it can read codes and erase them that's it.
thanks for the help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok i got both an injection fuel pressure tester and a compression good deal at harbor freight got both for under $40. i will let you guys know as soon as i get out there tomorrow. thanks again for the help and knowledge

·
Super Moderator
24,990 Posts
If this is a car that you plan to keep, it is a very good idea to get a proper scanner for it, so that you are aware of whatever information the ECU is trying to tell you, or has stored in memory. I am totally unaware of any code that would be similar to 'voltage too high for fuel sending unit'. The codes for your car are listed here, under 1996+ Suzuki Sidekick:
Suzuki OBD Trouble Codes –

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok put fuel pressure tester on fuel line up at motor and got 25lbs. put another fuel pump in and it ran good for about 10 seconds then start to skip again. would this be something plugging the line somewhere?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok put tester to fuel line before engine because i font have a fitting to fit the test port on the fpreg it now goes up to 62 and hold at around 42 to 45 for the five min i looked at it. now i have good pressure at the fuel line just before it goes into the back of the intake. i assume that goes right to the rail and fpreg? the motor starts right up but is still rich and missing and stalls. i am thinking because the ecm thinks it has no pressure still? is the fpreg suspect?

·
Super Moderator
24,990 Posts
I believe that the factory spec for fuel pressure is 34 - 41 psi, and should never be above 41...so it would appear that your fuel pressure is too high. Have you checked your fuel pressure regulator???

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the pressure i got is before the FPreg. fuel pressure reg. i dont have a fitting that fits the port right at the regulator.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
put a progressive scanner on it and it has no codes and no pending codes

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok with those findings i started from scratch with the timing. got tdc checked dizzy and look there its one tooth off. Awesome. pulled dizzy moved one tooth over and put it back in and .. starts and runs fine. so now it runs and i got so many parts extra from a tracker at my local scrap yard of hard to find stuff that i hope i can keep it going for a while for little cash. Thanks a lot guys for the help and direction. I do have a question. kickfix it says is banned and all his links dont work anymore. is this person still around as a different name? i just wanted to thank him for all his help with his web site that i got. Even if it was just someone taking his site and making an old copy. it has so much info i had to copy pages of it . Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
24,990 Posts
He has his own site/forum at fixkick.com. You can sign on and thank him there, I imagine.
Just for your info, most of the info on his site comes from the factory service manual. It may be a good idea to get one for your car???
And while your car is now running, your tests indicate high fuel pressure - perhaps you should get the proper connection and test the fuel pressure at the tank to see if it is truly within spec....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the pressure i got was from the line before it got to the rail and the fuel pressure regulator. at the rail now i get a steady 35. thanks again and i will join in and try to help with anything i know. i am new to sidetracks but have been pulling wrenches for 30 years. these are great little bug type cars just a little different than the normal American cars i usually work on. but the learning curve is not bad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts