Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to build a steel roof rack for my soft top samurai. I don't want the whole basket that I would get with a safari rack, or to spend that kind of money. My father-in-law has a shop with all the welding and bending tools i'd need. I want to be able to clamp my snowboard carrier to it, and maybe my dad's Thule car top carrier if I need to borrow that. I'm thinking of having the front mount on the top door hinges like the calmini safari rack, but where would be a good place to mount the back? I don't have any trouble with drilling through the quarter panels if that ends up being the best place for mounting.

also, what diameter and thickness piping do you think i should use?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I want to build a steel roof rack for my soft top samurai. I don't want the whole basket that I would get with a safari rack, or to spend that kind of money. My father-in-law has a shop with all the welding and bending tools i'd need. I want to be able to clamp my snowboard carrier to it, and maybe my dad's Thule car top carrier if I need to borrow that. I'm thinking of having the front mount on the top door hinges like the calmini safari rack, but where would be a good place to mount the back? I don't have any trouble with drilling through the quarter panels if that ends up being the best place for mounting.

also, what diameter and thickness piping do you think i should use?
Hey djamp, did you follow through with this project? Starting to look at roof rack designs for a soft top Samurai myself!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Djamp, I'm curious if you were able to build the roof rack. I'm currently looking for a reference of a customize roof rack.

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Calmini are about to be dealt to thru the courts, i would not advise dealing with them at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts