Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello to all,
I am wondering if anyone out there knows of a company or any has suggestions on where to get, or how one might go about fabricating a roll bar to protect the rear seat so i feel safe letting my daughter ride back there??? Also i would like to be able to put my top on as well. Does anyone have anything like this?

thanks in advance,
Jake

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Choosing a cage depends on what skill set / tools you have. The best bolt on cage is probably the one from Petroworks. You can install it in an afternoon and it fits great under a stock soft top. The weld in versions are all over and it really depends on how far you want to go. You can get a basic cage from Trail Tough, Low Range Offroad, Rocky Road, etc. or you can get a more custom cage from Rock 4XFabrication.

The key is you are thinking of protection as opposed to just something that 'looks cool'. Don't go cheap and fast, it is a life you are trying to protect.
;)

Here is a bunch of articles you can check out to see what will fit your situation.
Armor and Cage

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I got the petroworks cage to protect my kids. Its a great cage and fits under the soft top. It's got a little slack in the back so it would help to keep the factory bow back there... I took mine out so I have some puckers on the back around the windows, but its still taught on top and doesn't flap if you're using the tensioning straps.

When you do put a cage in, make sure to pad it. It's nice to have roll over protection, but it's also nice if your kid doesn't split their skull on the cage when they're bouncing around. I have a padded cage and when I go wheeling My kids wear their motorcross helmets in the back too... just in case.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I have the Trail Tough front and rear roll cages welded in. I can't compare them to the others, but they certainly seem like they would do the job.

Having padding installed is a terrific idea. Anyone know of any sources for padding?

Thanks,
Bruce

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I use the black rubber pipe insulation from home depot. You can use the grey foam insulation, but it can compress and you will feel the bar under it on a hard impact with your skull. Once you have the bar covered with pipe insulation, just use a vinyl tape to wrap it. I used gaffers tape, it's heavy duty and comes in a variety of colors.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Another thing to think about is a good set of handholds. A cage is great for protection, but if you start to tip you wouldn't believe how many folks grab the bars overhead to try and brace themselves. During a roll over the crushing force would do a job on your fingers...
Some folks use the velcro style handle additions that are easy to install. Unfortunately the handles aren't rigid enough to keep your hands away from the ground if you rolled over. A good set of handles could save some hurt.
Here is an example of what I am suggesting. It's what I did in my trail rig.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts