Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had many issues with Rocky Road Outfitters and products for my 2006 Grand Vitara Base Model. I ordered their GV3 lift kit with GR2 shocks and struts. The spacers and shocks arrived in a timely manner, but not the struts. I had it all mounted with after market rims and General Grabber ATX (LT245 75R16). Looks awesome and I'll post pix soon. Because I did not have GR2 struts, I had to purchase expensive Monroe struts instead. They are probably better than GR2s, but cost A LOT more.
I also ordered the Grand Vitara roof rails, Adventure roof rack, and light mount waaaayyyyyyy back in August. Finally got them Dec. 18 (!) after I tried to actually cancel the order. There is no way to attach the roof rack to the side rails. There were also NO instructions. My brother-in-law and I figured out how to mount the rails (rail + spacer + locking washer + bolt). Looks pretty good and feels pretty solid. Must note, however, that the overall quality was not what I expected. The plates where bolts attach to the attachment points on the roof are slightly angled and the fit is not clean. They should be perfectly flat.
Anybody ever purchase this setup before from RR? I have informed them it appears parts are missing. They asked me to send photos and I did but have not heard back. It looks like there should be some sort of sleeves that attach to the rack and rails using u-bolts . . ?
Any insights would be much appreciated. I also want everyone to be warned about Rocky Road and the frustration I've had - Don't care that they monitor this site. Can't treat customers like this.

·
Super Moderator
14,267 Posts
Because I did not have GR2 struts, I had to purchase expensive Monroe struts instead. They are probably better than GR2s, but cost A LOT more.
I know this is not what you asked about, but here's my $0.02 - I had a choice of KYB Excel-G (which is essentially the same product as the GR2) or Monroe Adventure Series shocks, the Excel-G is your basic OEM replacement, whilst Monroe touts the Adventure Series as "designed and built specifically to enhance the versatility & performance of vehicles driven both on & off road". I went with the Monroe primarily because it was available off the shelf, and the KYB were out of stock and would need to be ordered in with a wait of several weeks.

First issue - the Monroe shocks squeak as they move at low speeds, I have established the noise does come from the shock by removing the shocks and cycling them off of the vehicle, it is not an isolated case, I have experienced it with four Monroe Adventure series shocks.

Second issue - the top eye of one shock snapped off the shock rod leaving the upper shock dust cover attached to the eye and the two separate from the rest of the shock - now you know how I happen to have four shocks with "premium grade steel and reinforced welds".

Third issue - being curious I cut apart the failed Monroe shock - nothing in the Adventure Series brochure was actually in the Adventure Series shock. I also cut apart one of original KYB shocks that I removed from the vehicle - it had more of the "premium features" that Monroe was advertising than the Monroe did - I took pictures, I can show you what was inside each of them - I'll take a KYB Excel-G before a Monroe Adventure Series any day of the week.

Reactions: Bob Again

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have ordered from them in the past but never had an issue. I also ordered the lift kit but without the shocks.
I have had best luck by contacting them on the online chat. I would recommend that method of contact.
As for the wait, they build everything in runs much like ARB. If you order a part and they are not manufacturering it at that time, you will have to wait until they make a run. My rock sliders were ordered in July and arrived in Late October.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've always had excellent luck with KYB as well. I don't know if your GV has struts or not but in my experience KYB ReadyStruts are an outstanding value. And they rock, literally.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I ordered roof racks and received them about a month later. The actual racks are good but they provide some mounting baseplates which were uneven and crudely finished (looks like someone free hand a plasma torch for bolt holes).

The included hardware for mounting was not ideal (big box zinc, incorrect length).

About three months later I received another (someone else's) roof racks. So if one of you guys had a delayed order second half of 2020 that may be why.

It definitely has the feel of a small family business failing at regular business things, but considering the options are so limited, I'm thankful someone is doing it, and I wouldn't say the prices are bad - - just it requires some patience on our end.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just talked with Rocky Road today. They told me they are under staffed and over demand on orders. They asked that everyone please be patient with them and they will build the product whenever the next run of that product is ran. This is no different than ARB or larger companies. If you order something they will make it when they have the next available run of product.
Just so everyone is up to date on RR and they are trying the best they can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts