Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I replaced the rocker head gaskets on my SQ625 (year 2000, H25 engine) the other day. The gasket on the left hand side (when looking at the engine from the front) has an extruded section of soft rubber that plugs a semicircular hole between the engine block and the cover.

You can see the extruded rubber section in the image on the ebay listing for the gasket, it's the gasket on the right hand side in the top left corner
Rocker Cover Gasket SET Grand Vitara 2 5P H25A V6 98 05 XL7 2 7P H27A 01 06 | eBay

It doesn't seem to have much to the plug since it is just made of soft rubber. Is there meant to be a rigid insert within the plug?

Does anyone know why there is a hole here in the first place?

I didn't line the curved edge of this soft plug with silicon and effectively glue it into the head cover. Is this all I should have done, would this have stopped it leaking?

There are a few other semicircular holes between the engine block and the head covers but these are filled with rigid semicircular plastic blocks (which I did seal between them and the head covers with silicon).

Why is a soft rubber plug built into the gasket used in this one spot only?

Any assistance would be hugely appreciated. If there are any details I have missed out that I need to provide to help someone assist with my problem then please ask.

Roops.

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
Why is a soft rubber plug built into the gasket used in this one spot only?
I know what you mean, but I don't know what the application is for other than I presume that the cover is used on another engine configuration which has a shaft or other component that protrudes through the cover in that area.

A bead of the preferred grey RTV should seal that, although you were hoping that the natural compression / fit of the gasket would have sufficed. I question the quality and dimensional spec of the gasket that you used, at this point. :( Either that or the gasket shifted from the correct position. Slippery (before setting) RTV'd joints will do that, and pooch out the gasket!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts