Suzuki Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13,039 Posts
Is that a new Jimny or one of the old ones? I've driven the older one on the motorway and it was pants. Was hoping the newer ones were more refined
They are a truck with solid beam axles and recirculating ball steering boxes, designed for off road, no different to an early series 2 Landy, they will never be "refined" on the road. (altho the brakes work way better than the Landrovers ever will) You buy it for a purpose and if you expect car handling on road, sorry, they aren't going to provide it. Off road however, they are fantastic.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I don't think its possible to get a spare tire for an allgrip model? Theres about 4 inches of room under the boot floor.
You'll just have to fill it with sound deadening. Gosh, that is a point against the allgrip then.

·
Registered
544 Posts
They are a truck with solid beam axles and recirculating ball steering boxes, designed for off road, no different to an early series 2 Landy, they will never be "refined" on the road. (altho the brakes work way better than the Landrovers ever will) You buy it for a purpose and if you expect car handling on road, sorry, they aren't going to provide it. Off road however, they are fantastic.
Gosh yes - awful things perpetuated in the new Jimny but alas all there is in the size/class. I have had three I rather liked for comfort, on and off road use and quiet wise, maybe four. The Freelander was comfortable and fairly economic. The Pinin was comfortable, economic but a rot box. Pajero Junior not so comfy but fairly quiet, Vitara, almost comfy, economical and fairly quiet.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
For internal dry areas, have a talk to a carpet installer that does commercial places, like banks. The underlay is always changed-out at the same time as the carpet itself, which is more frequent than in homes. It saves them disposal costs. Beware of the old hair stuff, as the real old stuff is heavy and may be containing asbestos. The modern stuff is a foam type of stuff and lightweight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dynamat sound dampening sheets. You can find them on Amazon. They go under your carpet. Super sticky. Buy the roller for them. Essentially they limit tubs vibration.
Id suggest starting out with under the driver and passenger feet (wheel well) maybe over the transfer case hump or transmission area (the interior not underside)
I’m told they work super awesome if you put them on the inside of your doors, pulling the door panel, put up the window, slide some thin sheets against the distal portion of the door.

·
Banned
507 Posts
Dynamat sound dampening sheets. You can find them on Amazon. They go under your carpet. Super sticky. Buy the roller for them. Essentially they limit tubs vibration.
Id suggest starting out with under the driver and passenger feet (wheel well) maybe over the transfer case hump or transmission area (the interior not underside)
I’m told they work super awesome if you put them on the inside of your doors, pulling the door panel, put up the window, slide some thin sheets against the distal portion of the door.
I used it in my Subaru to enhance the JL Audio speakers I put in it; worked well.
Quite heavy though.

·
Registered
13,039 Posts
situated away from the point of attachment or origin or a central point

so it could be an upper bit too

·
Registered
13,039 Posts
in anatomical context "this bit attached at the end of the dangly hanging on bits" like the fingers, toes, hands or feet
For example, Distal Phalanges, The bones at the tips of the fingers or toes. The proximal (closest to the body), intermediate, and distal phalanges articulate with one another through interphalangeal articulations.

its trivia I know...amazing what you end up discussing on a car forum hehehe

·
Registered
544 Posts
in anatomical context "this bit attached at the end of the dangly hanging on bits" like the fingers, toes, hands or feet
For example, Distal Phalanges, The bones at the tips of the fingers or toes. The proximal (closest to the body), intermediate, and distal phalanges articulate with one another through interphalangeal articulations.

its trivia I know...amazing what you end up discussing on a car forum hehehe
So carpals and metacarpals are not distal then?

·
Registered
13,039 Posts
nope, carpals are proximal, metacarpals are intermediate and phalanges are distal

this is sad, discussing medical things hehehe. Just remember in some parts its "2, 10, 11"

as in eyes, fingers, toes hehehe

·
Registered
IGNIS , 2017, AGS (auto)
49 Posts
Your best bet is in two stages. get underneath and coat everywhere in a sound deadening underseal. I forget what I use but it will make a big difference. You may be shocked at how sparse underbody protection is. Second change tyres but check the Db ratings as you might find you have the lowest rated tyres now; that depends on what tyres you have. Tyre manufacturers designed tyres to project sound upwards so as to give low readings on decibel tests at the kerbside. This means the noise is going up in to the arches. Get plenty of sound deadening material directly above the wheels. It means that some tyres may sound noisy to a person in the street but less noisy to the driver - check it out if you do change tyres. Drumming on certain road surfaces in these tin box cars can be a nightmare.
Also if you have no spare then you are driving a violin case cavity at the back. Either fill it with tyre plus thick automotive sound deadening felt material or just fill it with sound deadening.
Things like tailgate and parcel shelf also add to drumming effects.
The noisiest car I have ever owned was a Celerio and I slaughtered the noise by about 55% by doing these things.
The roof is another area to deaden but we are talking major work.
I think I will sound deaden the interior when the warmer weather comes. It sounds like a plan.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just an update on road 'roar' (we suffer from badly made roads here in NZ).
I added sound proofing to my old Ignis (the little Orange sod as in my avatar image). It's a 2018 model SZ5.
Have recently updated to the 2022 SZ5 model. I bought a roll of sound proofing before the car arrived as I fully expected to be doing the new car too.
Not so...the new car is very much quieter. Same tyres are fitted to it as per the older car.
Seems that Suzuki are making a bit of effort to address some Ignis issues.
I will fit the sound proofing this Summer (or when it isn't raining) but only because I have the stuff...might as well get some benefit from it.
On another matter, I notice that the steering is better too. Don't get the crabbing now either.

·
Registered
791 Posts
A very impressive job! I'm sure it's not an issue on the Ignis but the bonnet shield is intended as a heat insulator. Without complete insulator coverage, the bonnet can develop shadows in the paintwork from heat rising from the engine.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I think rodents like the colour yellow! Squirrels would climb into the engine of my Mazda and chew off the washer bottle cap and drink the contents. I painted cap No.3 black and no more problems!
Gas Font Circle Plastic Cylinder

21 - 40 of 45 Posts