Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm looking for what the oem ring size would be for the 1.6. 2.95 bore. The machine shop can't find rings for 2 months. I don't think I need the 25 over from megazip but they list 2 ahead of that that I assume are standard size. And I'm not a mechanic. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
19,733 Posts
What vehicle? What year?

It is also unclear as to what size you seek! Standard or .025" oversize. You refer to both.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
It will also depend on bore wear as to correct size. I have seen people use 0.025 oversize then file the end gap to spec just to save the cost of a bore as it was right on the limit but not tapered or oval. Not a recommended practice but certainly adds a bit of tension to the rings on a std piston.

·
Administrator
18,333 Posts
Hi. I'm looking for what the oem ring size would be for the 1.6. 2.95 bore. The machine shop can't find rings for 2 months. I don't think I need the 25 over from megazip but they list 2 ahead of that that I assume are standard size. And I'm not a mechanic. Thanks.
I'm not certain what it is you're asking here - what "size" are you asking about?

Rings come in standard size (which, in this case, is to fit a 75mm or 2.95 inch bore) & generally two "over sizes", which would be standard + 0.25mm (or 75.25mm) & standard + 0.50mm (or 75.50mm).

Generally speaking, ring size is determined by piston size, and piston size is determined by bore size - the machine shop should have measured the bores for diameter (to determine wear & ovality or out of roundness), if the bore wear is excessive, the machine shop would recommend boring oversized, which would require fitting of both oversized pistons & rings.

The machine shop would need to tell you what size rings you need to get, standard rings are available from RockAuto (see my earlier post), oversized pistons & rings are available from LowRange Off Road.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
12,905 Posts
It will also depend on bore wear as to correct size. I have seen people use 0.025 oversize then file the end gap to spec just to save the cost of a bore as it was right on the limit but not tapered or oval. Not a recommended practice but certainly adds a bit of tension to the rings on a std piston.
Reminds me of the things we did in the mid 60's when I overland rallied.. In those days I pushed a Volvo P1800 and a 122S, Both 1800cc with twin SU carbs..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts