Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
I am a new owner of a 1988 Samurai 4x4 --- its an awesome little rig but I have just run into a problem. While slowing for a stop sign I heard a "clunk" near the back of the vehicle followed by, no noticeable change in operation however when i got home there was a strong gear oil odor. In the morning, a large puddle of what seemed to be gear oil was leaking from the right rear wheel area. I have pulled the wheel and drum...it seems that the bearing is gone- a lot of play when I move the axle set up and down or side to side. I have read how to fix the problem but, in living 30 miles from town I want to make sure I have all the right replacement parts for the repair. Is there anyone out there that can advise me on the parts that need to be replaced and maybe any possible hints as to, potential issues that may come up?
Your time and advice would be greatly appreciated
Thank You
Spike88

·
Super Moderator
17,603 Posts
You've got an older model than I, but the procedure to repair can be followed in this thread below. The parts (by numbers) may be different than what will fit your ride though.

Here is a good parts source...
Suzuki Parts | OEM Suzuki Parts | Genuine Suzuki Parts

And the how-to's...

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/1g-1999-2005-vitara-grand-vitara/19396-has-ne1-here-pulled-rear-axle.html

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/1g-1999-2005-vitara-grand-vitara/36107-rear-end-noise-also.html

Spike! Plug in your location under "USER CP". That helps us out in the long run, depending on which model from around the world you have. I'm assuming USA at this point.

And welcome aboard!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You Sir. I will be attempting this coming weekend. I've read about pressing in a bearing or something. should I take it in and have something pressed in or is it not that hard

·
Registered
278 Posts
Its more than likely an axle seal. You will need a 2- 12mm wrenches, a lug wrench , a jack, a pair of needle nose pliers, a hammer and a slide hammer with an axle puller adapter.Plus a brake service kit and some brake fluid, and gear oil.
If you have all off these tools, it is a simple repair. One that can be done on the trail.
The seal it self is about $6
You don't need a press to replace the seal........Boxcar...

·
Registered
55 Posts
You are right. It's absolutely what was said, you have a bad bearing and oil seal. you deffinatly need both because once the bearing goes it allows the axle shaft to slap around (clunking when you stop etc). when it does that it damages the oil seal (gear oil leak from axle tube end). I've done that job about 5-6 times now. It's very easy to do. If the drum etc is already off all you need now is to remove the backer plate etc. There should be 4 nuts on the back side and the brake line. After you remove those the axle shaft w/bearing will pull out. as for the pressing on of the bearing it's not that serious. If you have a pipe that is big enough to fit over the shaft you can put the new bearing on and set a rag on it (so you wont damage or scarr it) and hammer or pound the new one on. The seal should come out easy with a flathead, and you can tap the new one in easily with the flathead. Just be easy when putting the axle shaft back in and be sure to not to let it crush the new oil seal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the help it sounds pretty straight forward hope to get the parts ordered tonight
thanks everybody

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi everybody thanks for your advice I finally got the parts and replaced the bearing 1st time . It went well thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts