Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only guy that had to go out and buy a special 1/2 inch right angle impact wrench to get the nut off the damper on the GV V6?
Just not enough room behind the A/C condenser, even when I took it loose to get a regular impact wrench in to do the job.

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
Possibly so! I didn't know that they made them in 1/2" drive with enough torque to do the job! :)

Most folks attempt the manual breaker bar route and if that fails, a conventional impact gun w/radiator and condenser removal.

What model did you get?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bought one of these to hold the crank pulley/dampner, and used a breaker bar to remove the bolt. Worked perfect.

·
Administrator
16,315 Posts
I bought one of these to hold the crank pulley/dampner, and used a breaker bar to remove the bolt. Worked perfect.
There's a good chance of destroying the dampener that way.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Max,
I ordered the Proto J150 that makes 200 lb. torque.

Fordem,
I have always used impact wrenches to remove damper bolts, just never to install them. What is to break?

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
Sweet! :)

Proto Tool J150WA 1/2'' Air Angle Impact

I have always used impact wrenches to remove damper bolts, just never to install them. What is to break?
I believe that Fordem was relating to the potential issues when grabbing the outer balancer ring portion using a chain wrench (which is rubber isolated) thus damaging the balancer in the bolt removal process. ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I actually got the chain wrench idea from the Haynes manual as a recommended tool for the job.
perhaps I just got lucky, but for the price of that impact gun I could afford to risk replacement of several dampners.

·
Administrator
16,315 Posts
I believe that Fordem was relating to the potential issues when grabbing the outer balancer ring portion using a chain wrench (which is rubber isolated) thus damaging the balancer in the bolt removal process. ;)
Max is correct...

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got it, thanks!

Came off with no problem, but the bolt does not look anything like the bolt in the repair manual.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts