·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
616 Posts
rides like a brick...

Other than lowering your tire pressure or using longer YJ springs (which also adds flex through the use of "missing link"-style shackles - something that overly-complicates the suspension system IMHO), there is no simple solution to a crappy ride.

The Samurai is a short-wheelbased vehicle and that is the major reason why it rides like a brick.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had the same problem with the 2" lifted Bonz-Eye springs in spoa. They ride really stiff.
I went to the Trail Tough YJ missing link kit and I added a second main spring with the eyes cut off to the YJ 5 pack springs to make them six pack springs. That add about an inch of lift to the YJ springs.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Since the rig is sitting with the shackle in the full down position it indicates that you have zero droop. Usually when you use lifted springs, the spring is slightly longer than stock to accomodate the extra arc. These look like stock length springs that have been re-bent. Without any droop you're going to lift a tire whenever you corner with any kind of speed.
If you look at how much arc you have on your spring, and how short your shackle is (looks stock), you will notice that even if you maxed out your shackle, you only have about 3-4 inches of compression. Pushing the spring past the shackles limit will bend a nice "s" in your spring. So you have about 10 inches of clearance with 4 inches of up-travel. Make sure you set your bump stops so you don't snap or bend a spring if you hit something hard.

That's the trouble with high arches like that. They give you lots of lift but they're very stiff because of the short space between the hanger and the shackle. They're also real wobbly because of the higher center of gravity and no down travel. The only real solution to running a high lift and getting a softer ride is to 3 link it with coils, or put longer leaf springs under it. The other option of course is to use a softer spring with less arch. You'll loose a couple inches of lift, but you will have a much smoother ride and your handling will be a lot less tippy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Everyone, I Didnt Here About The Yj Set-up Until After I Had Bought The Lift Springs So I Didnt Want To Just Throw Away That $400 But It Looks Like Thats What Im Gonna End Up Doing . Thanks For All The Input.:d

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
don't throw them out, there are people out there who want a big tall truck and don't care how it handles or rides. Sell them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I Didnt Actually MEAN Throw Them Out But When I Get The Cash Ill Def Be Swapping Them Out For The Yj Set Up And Trying To Sell The Lift Springs. As Of Right Now Im Still Waitng For Parts To Come So Ive Only Gone Up The Street And Back So The Springs Are Still New But Im Sure By The Time I Switch They'll Have Some Miles On Them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
run a more longer, flatter spring. then if needed add a body lift.
you also don't say what shock you are running...
I'm also running 33's. Not saying it rides like a catty but you also can't expect it to. Do you really need that much lift? Also remember new springs are stiff until they loosen up. Drive is over some ruff stuff for a few hundred miles and they will be softer. But again, shocks?
Really want it smooth, convert to coil springs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I Know My Shocks Are An Issue But Even With Out Them Hooked Up Its Still Really Stiff.i Like The Height With The 33's But I Cant Stand The "stuffed" Look And I Hate When Tires Rub , So Thats Why I Went This High. I Will Eventually Go To The Yj Springs And Missing Link But I Heard That With The Missing Link They Arnt So Great On Road. I Just Picked Up An 88 Sammi Today So Who Knows I Might Drop The Red One Down And Build A Full Out Off Road Rig Out Of The 88.....unsure Yet.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Did you move the axles out at all? Did you trim any sheet metal? What about the front and rear bumpers? What backspacing are you running on your wheels? You didn't over tighten the spring hangers did you? Did you change the spring mounts?
There are other ways to keep the rubbers from rubbing than going up so high. Springs are only a part of a lift.
How ever, if you still want that high of a spring...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The big key to keeping the tires off the springs is a small backspacing on the rim.

As far as the missing links go. If you have really soft springs then you can get some dive when braking hard and the missing links in the back can open up to exaggerate the effect. It's easily preventable by adding a leaf in your front packs to stiffen the front up on a soft spring, and a trackbar is a good investment for keeping the differential in the center of the vehicle and also help to prevent brake dive. It won't stop one corner from dropping though if you overload your springs, so make sure you have enough of them stacked up to prevent that. Doing so you will keep the progressive rate high enough for the soft ride of the long spring when lightly loaded, and the tight handling under heavier load of the smaller springs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My Tires Are Only 10.50 Wide And Dont Touch The Springs At All Full Turn Both Ways, I Hate It When They Rub On The Body But I Dont Want To Cut It Because Its Gonna Be My Daily Driver Too, And The Police Around Here Will Bust My Chops If There Cut

1 - 16 of 16 Posts