Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a new Suzuki SX4 Sport Automatic, and I love it so far! I have been really happy about this purchase, but have one spot of worry: The SX4 shifts pretty hard between gears, like it revs up and gives a little kick while changing gears. I read some of the posts here mentioning that in the manual tranny, but I was wondering if anyone else has this problem with their automatic. If it's a common thing I have to live with, I am okay with that. But if it's something I need to get looked at, I'd rather do it now rather than cause problems later. How about it? Anyone else notice that on their SX4's?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sx4 Auto feels like a manual

I just got our SX4 and noticed the strange revs between gears, almost feels like a clutch being depressed. I'm feeling a little anxiety over it, but still hopeful that everything is normal. Not to sure what to make of it...

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Wife and I test drove a manual SX4 Z series before buying a Automatic one. I noticed the over rev bit between the gear changes and mentioned it to the salesman who said it was done on purpose to stop the motor coming off the boil so to speak, ie. keep the power up.
It annoyed me abit but I adapted my driving to let off the accelerator before pushing the clutch in, this pulled the revs down so it didn't sound like you were missing gears. The Auto we have doesn't do this but we are low in km"s[400km's] so haven't given it a pedal to the metal passing anything yet to see if it shows up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, guys! I guess it's probably not a big deal... And being under warranty for so long, I guess if it does cause any problems, I will deal with that when I get to it. But I hope the dealership guy was right, that it is part of the design. Thanks again for the replies!

·
Registered
1 Posts
okay, while i do not know what purpose it serves, i do know why it happens.

the sx4 is a throttle by wire set-up... kinda like driving a car in a game... not like all the other cars who imlement a hard line from the gas pedal to the throttle.

i believe thats why the engine revs up, after u push the clutch in to shift.

altho. im not a mechanic or a pro or anything so i may be wrong ofcourse... just trying to contribute xD. i also have a 2003 elantra, which has the throttle by cable, and it does not have any such over revs like the sx4 does.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lots of cars have drive-by-wire these days and they don't have the between-gear rev-up that my SX4 has. It's a little annoying, mostly because it makes passengers think that I don't know how to drive a standard.

If this is somehow caused by the drive-by-wire system, it would be nice to get revised programming that eliminates it. I know there are things worse than this little rev-up but it is a nagging annoyance.

--Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Since I'm about to buy the SX4 Crossover with manual transmission, you guys have me worried about this "reving" when shifting. I don't recall noticing it during my short test drive. If someone could describe the effect in detail and evaluate how significant it is, I'd appreciate it.

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since I'm about to buy the SX4 Crossover with manual transmission, you guys have me worried about this "reving" when shifting. I don't recall noticing it during my short test drive. If someone could describe the effect in detail and evaluate how significant it is, I'd appreciate it.
When you shift up to the next gear, the engine revs up about 1,000 RPM or so, pretty much between every gear. It drops immediately, so it's not a sustained revving. You can train yourself to not do it but it will rev between gears the next time you're distracted with something and not thinking about it. The revving occurs both in the SX4 manual I bought and in the car I test drove, so it's not just my car. And I've been driving standard transmission cars for 35 years or so.

Is it significant? I dunno... It doesn't seem to hurt anything but it gives the impression that I don't know how to drive a standard. It's a little embarassment every time it happens, because it sounds like I'm clumsy. To me anyway, it's a minor annoyance.

--Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
When you shift up to the next gear, the engine revs up about 1,000 RPM or so, pretty much between every gear. It drops immediately, so it's not a sustained revving. You can train yourself to not do it but it will rev between gears the next time you're distracted with something and not thinking about it. The revving occurs both in the SX4 manual I bought and in the car I test drove, so it's not just my car. And I've been driving standard transmission cars for 35 years or so.

Is it significant? I dunno... It doesn't seem to hurt anything but it gives the impression that I don't know how to drive a standard. It's a little embarassment every time it happens, because it sounds like I'm clumsy. To me anyway, it's a minor annoyance.

--Bob
Bob,

Thanks for the description and perspective. While I'm not happy with the prospect of what seems like a stupid design, I guess I won't let it deter me from getting what looks otherwise like a great toad for my motorhome.

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
I drove mine around last night and tried to figure out what this was. Mine doesn't do it all. It does have 15,000 miles (20,000 km) on it though, so I'm wondering, maybe it's just an issue when they're new and all the parts are still tight? As things wear in this will fix itself?

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have the manual and i notice it every now and then, but have already adapted to it by now. my only thought on the auto is early "clutch" engagement. all the cars nowadays have the "semi auto trans" which uses a second clutch, making it almost like a manual. bmw calls it smg, vw calls it dsg, they all have their names for it, but they all recomend taking your foot off the gas between shifts.:confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
So, I have a new Suzuki SX4 Sport Automatic, and I love it so far! I have been really happy about this purchase, but have one spot of worry: The SX4 shifts pretty hard between gears, like it revs up and gives a little kick while changing gears. I read some of the posts here mentioning that in the manual tranny, but I was wondering if anyone else has this problem with their automatic. If it's a common thing I have to live with, I am okay with that. But if it's something I need to get looked at, I'd rather do it now rather than cause problems later. How about it? Anyone else notice that on their SX4's?
I just bought a 08' SX4 Automatic .....Mine does what you describe as well....it seems like most of the replies were in the Manual Trans.........I will keep my eye on it to see if it gets better or Worse in the near Future....as of now I only have 250 miles on her....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Does anyone think this problem might be a bad attempt at auto reving during a down shift. Ive always reved the engine when i down shift (in a manual) it gets the engine spinning at the same speed as the transmission witch keeps from grinding the clutch smooth and putting undue stress on the gears. Maybe suzuki wanted to make downshift rev matching easier but they just didnt do a good job, other car makers have tried to do this but as far as i know only in the flappy paddle gear boxes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I totally understand this in a manual trans ......but in a Automatic it seems a little weird and noticeable.....that is the main thing.....you notice it immediately....had a buddy ride in the car and he was like "dude what is that" .....i think it might go away from what I have been reading on the forums.....just needs some time to break in a bit....I'm gonna keep my eye on this thread to see what others say as well that have automatics with more mileage than what I have

Carman----what you are saying makes total sence imo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Chris,

I just bought a 2008 SX4 Sport 5-speed yesterday, and don't understand how people could feel that the manual trasmission has a problem with "revving" between shifts, as the drivers' skill (or lack of) in using the gas and clutch would determine this! My thoughts are that the problem would be with the response of the drive-by-wire system, but I did not notice this during the 135 miles I put on the car my first day, so you should be fine. I'll post if I notice anything abnormal. Good Luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's just one of its many quirks...

For the automatics, I'm guessing that's just the way they'll drive until they're broken in. I have a manual so I don't know if that's even remotely true - but it makes sense to me.

The manuals do the same, but that's only because the gas pedal is so touchy. You'll just have to take your foot (all the way) off the gas before pressing the clutch. Like any manual, you just have to get used to its quirks (a manual in a Porsche, is COMPLETELY different than a Suzuki's :lol:).

Although, I've noticed that it doesn't "rev up" if you switch gears when it's above 4K RPM (which is usually when it decides to put out). In my opinion, the perfect place to practice your shift timing is on a highway on ramp.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts