Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my reverse lights don't turn on when i shift into reverse.

the only thing i can find about this is that i have to take apart the entire transmission to get to a little switch inside there that triggers when i shift into reverse... is that true?

also, as extra credit, how do i shut off the daytime running lights? they are really annoying.

·
Super Moderator
12,173 Posts
I don't know where you found that, but I suggest you don't go there any more.

What sort or transmission do you have - manual or automatic - not that it really matters, you don't have to take either one apart to get to the reverse light switch - but, if we knew, we might be better able to tell you where to look - and whilst you're about it - tell us which engine you have, the Baleno/Esteem was marketed with five different engines, and I believe three different transmissions.

Could I also ask have you checked the bulbs, and the fuse - or did you just go search the worlds' greatest source of misinformation for guidance?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
standard transmission.

haha, i don't where i found that, ya, i thought it seemed a bit absurd, it was some service manual, i've got a 99 esteem 1.8l wagon.

i don't know where the fuse is, i think i have checked it, can't remember though, and the bulbs seems fine... i'll check it out, i just thought something wasn't engaging, i'm assuming it's in the housing beneath the rubber that conceals the place where the stick meets the clutch.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
standard transmission.
i'm assuming it's in the housing beneath the rubber that conceals the place where the stick meets the clutch.
???????? what stick?

its usually a switch on the outside of the gearbox.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya, we were talking about the same thing when i said stick, can i access that from inside of the car, removing the rubber that protects that space, the rubber that the stick goes into, the stick with the ball on the top that i use to choose which gear that transmission will be using.

are you suggesting i just check whether or not that is plugged in? can i tell if it has failed? voltmeter?

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
ya, we were talking about the same thing when i said stick, can i access that from inside of the car, removing the rubber that protects that space, the rubber that the stick goes into, the stick with the ball on the top that i use to choose which gear that transmission will be using.

are you suggesting i just check whether or not that is plugged in? can i tell if it has failed? voltmeter?
its a switch, unplug the cable where it meets the car wiring loom, check for no resistance across the switch terminals in the plug in reverse, high resistance when not in reverse, that will at least prove if the switch is working or not

·
Registered
811 Posts
I can't help with the transmission / reverse lights problem, but...

There really isn't any way to turn off the Daytime Running Lights except for pulling up on the parking brake handle until you hear it click once, at that point the lights should turn off.

The switch for this is located under the plastic housing for the parking brake and the little storage area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts