1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1986 Suzuki Samurai Tin Top
stock 1.3L running weber carb
no modifications

I replaced the reverse light switch and now my reverse lights stay on. I tried to undue what I did to start over just in case I did it incorrect and with the switch completely out of the samurai, the reverse lights stay on. Is this a bad ground somewhere?

Additionally, the samurai was running great and then all of a sudden it will not start. It is getting fuel, there is spark coming from the ignition coil (I replaced it as well), the distributor is properly grounded (I have 2 spare distributors and have tried 2 of them), the spark plugs are new and properly gap'd, The spark plug wires are new.

The car turns over nicely but it will not start.

Any ideas on these problems will be much appreciated. I am suspecting a grounding issue. I have checked all known grounds and have tightened them. I will replace my battery terminals tonight to ensure a good connection, I will add a ground wire from the motor to the frame and the frame to the body tonight.

Am I missing anything?

Mark

·
Super Moderator
12,571 Posts
First - go to Ack's FAQ, you'll find the complete service manual for your car, find the wiring diagram and look at the reverse light circuit - if the switch is completely out of the vehicle, which would mean the wiring is disconnected, then the problem is a short circuit between the two wires that connect to the switch.

If you don't have a meter, get one and learn to use it, don't try to troubleshoot electrical issues without one.

Regarding the "non starting" - are you getting a spark at the plugs?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update on the reverse light issue. I removed the rear bumper and lights and will trace the wires from back to front looking for any grounding. I wire brushed all the grounds front to back to ensure a good ground. I added another ground wire from the motor to the frame. I double checked the battery cables and ground were all tight. I installed a new fuel sensor and it is not working despite is working when I tested it prior to installing so there is definitely a wire grounding out.

As for the starting issue - I removed the fuel line to the carb and turned it over to confirm I am getting fuel, which I am. I checked spark from the coil, getting spark. I removed spark plug #1 and checked for spark, getting spark there.
I re did the timing to ensure there it was not out of time, then I ran out of time....lol.

It was running great and then just stopped. I am not sure what the issue is. any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Kailuasammy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts