Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have had this issue with my sami for a little while but never really need to fix it till now. So my reverse lights constantly stay on. I ended up having to pull the bulbs to just take care of the issue for the time being. I have done some research, and know where to find the switch. But the only thing i can't find is where to find the connection that a the cable itself goes. Anyone have any ideas or have had this issue before?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have no idea. Mine does not have reverse lights. What I would do is to look at schematics and find wire colors and trace it that way.. If someone else knows they will have to chime in.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems like the go into my firewall but can't seem to trace them from there. I looked up the actually part and the wires on it don't seem to be incredibly long so I'm guessing it stops somewhere before it his the fire wall but having a hard time finding the connection

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ok, looking at the schematic your reverse light has two wires a red and a black. Red is power and black is ground. The light grounds through the tail lights I believe. from there the red wire will travel somewhere along your frame straight to the switch which is on the transmission itself. It then leaves that switch on a yellow wire going to the fuse box to 3 fuses hooked up along the same circuit. 15A to be exact from the fuse box it leaves on a Blue/black wire going directly into the ignition. If i remember correctly I believe the reverse switch should be the one closest to the engine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You'll probably have to just trace it from the switch.. there is also a good chance that you may have short somewhere after the switch to power

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So i was able to finally get this done. So for anyone who has a question in the future. On my 88 sami, the switch on the top of the tranny (closest to engine block) is the reverse light swtich. I traced the wire back to the firewall. Thats were the wire connects to a green connector which then transfers to the dash. I disconnected the green cable and installed the new cable. Did have some fun though. I guess the cable they gave me was the wrong connector so i spliced the old plugs adapter onto the new one. Works like a charm now.

·
Banned
329 Posts
So i was able to finally get this done. So for anyone who has a question in the future. On my 88 sami, the switch on the top of the tranny (closest to engine block) is the reverse light swtich. I traced the wire back to the firewall. Thats were the wire connects to a green connector which then transfers to the dash. I disconnected the green cable and installed the new cable. Did have some fun though. I guess the cable they gave me was the wrong connector so i spliced the old plugs adapter onto the new one. Works like a charm now.
They changed the wiring harness plugs between the 86-88 and 88.5-95 samurais.
Also, the 5th gear switch (the other switch on top of the tranny) is the same switch, just with a different connector on the end.

So I would guess they either gave you the wrong year switch or the 5th gear switch, instead of the reverse light switch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts