Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to add power locks to my 89 sidekick. I pulled the power locks out of a 96 4 door tracker and I got them to work in place of the manual locks but now I am trying to wire them up to an aftermarket keyless entry. I'm just trying to find out what wire does what on the factory locks. I just need to know which ones I need for power/ground to lock and which ones for unlock. There are 2 bundles of wires coming off the factory power locks. One is 4 wires (red, blue, black, white) and one is 3 wires (green, black, red).

Here's it installed.

I found this schematic but I'm not sure exactly what all the wires are doing. I have an aftermarket keyless entry that is basically like a remote controlled relay switch.

Thank you

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Took one of them apart and looks like the 3 wire bundle is for some kind of position sensor. The red wire is power and black is ground. The blue and white wires go to a switch on the inside of the factory power locks.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
The "position sensor" is so all the doors lock when the driver's door is locked with a key.

The stock system has a controller that provides the correct polarity signals to the door lock actuators. I am sure a relay based system could be rigged up (I did it for a Ford), but do not have the time right now.

If you can find a OEM controller, you could tap your aftermarket keyless entry into the "not used" leads at the top of your diagram. (That is what they are for.)

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
OK, had time to look for a relay set up... couldn't find any diagrams on the internet that would REPLACE the stock door lock controller.

--- Does your rig have the OEM door lock wiring installed? --
It will make a BIG difference on the easiest method to get you system to work. (If you have the wiring, just install the controller and switches.)

As designed, both sides (or legs) of the actuators have ground applied until a lock or unlock signal is applied. When a signal is received the controller momentarily removes ground form the proper leg and supplies +12v. this locks or unlocks all the doors as needed.

Basic Idea:
If all you wanted was switches to run the locks it would be rather simple to select the proper switches. But if I understand correctly, you want to connect a remote (or alarm). You'll need to set up two relays., one on each leg. (wire all the door locks to the same two relays.) The normally closed (NC) terminal will be grounded and the normally open (NO) terminal will have +12v. Wire the coils of the relays to momentary switches so only one is energised at a time and your remote/alarm system.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Cool thanks. Should be pretty simple to set up 2 five pin relays to use with aftermarket remote. Thank you.

And no my 89 does not have the factory wiring. But i did grab the wiring off the donor but no module.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
OBTW: Depending on the remote you use, you might have to make some changes to the trigger wires on the above diagram.

If your remote supplies a GROUND when it wants to "trigger" a lock (or unlock) you can use the diagram as written. (IE: Negative trigger or pulse)

If your remote supplies a +12v when it wants to "trigger" a lock (or unlock) you need to ground the relays and let your remote supply the power to the relay coils. (IE: Positive trigger or pulse)

You can also wire in push buttons to lock and unlock without the remote.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The remote I have supplies a positive pulse. I'm going to use a set of 5 pin relays for the remote to connect to. The 5 pin relays will be normally closed to ground then when the remote box sends a pulse either lock or unlock will switch from ground to positive. (I wrote this out for other to read) thank you again.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts