Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Geo Tracker Convertible,built in Japan, 1.6 8V, 4wd, 5spd
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
89 Geo Tracker 4x4 5spd 1.6 8v. So I had been looking for that 'hidden' reset switch on my 89 Tracker and searched everywhere underneath the left side of my dash but simply did not find it. So I did go through a 1990 at the junkyard and removed the left side speaker and found this switch (where it seems other Trackers have it), followed all the way to the top left side of the back side of the dash before I clipped it off. What does it wire to on the dash and why doesn't my Tracker have this? note my 1989 Tracker is american spec and was built in Japan (as opposed to Canada)-Fivestar

·
Super Moderator
25,238 Posts
On your car, if you remove the little panel that is just under the steering column, and put your hand down about 2-3 inches, you should find that switch. I wonder whether the wiring (and location) of the switch that you found is actually factory, as the wiring colors do not match what the factory colors would be for the little switch. That switch was moved to the left speaker location in about 1994-95, but prior to that, its directly under that little panel.
However, you advise that your car was built in Japan - and I do not think that the Japanese built cars had the service engine soon function that the Canadian built cars had….which leads me to my question:
Is your check engine light on with the engine running, and have you tried to get codes? Removing the dome light fuse would reset codes (and turn that light off, until codes were found again by the computer).

·
Registered
1989 Geo Tracker Convertible,built in Japan, 1.6 8V, 4wd, 5spd
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On your car, if you remove the little panel that is just under the steering column, and put your hand down about 2-3 inches, you should find that switch. I wonder whether the wiring (and location) of the switch that you found is actually factory, as the wiring colors do not match what the factory colors would be for the little switch. That switch was moved to the left speaker location in about 1994-95, but prior to that, its directly under that little panel.
However, you advise that your car was built in Japan - and I do not think that the Japanese built cars had the service engine soon function that the Canadian built cars had….which leads me to my question:
Is your check engine light on with the engine running, and have you tried to get codes? Removing the dome light fuse would reset codes (and turn that light off, until codes were found again by the computer).
Bex,
Thanks for the response, learning so much. Yes I have popped off that panel just under the steering column and no switch (I have been diligently too). I have not had any codes come up and the Tracker is running great especially after cleaning out the EGR and related items which cleared up the 'idle hunting' issue I was having. Yes I get engine check light when I start the Tracker (it does go off soon after) and also can pull the codes and do get a 'code 12'
So I know I have a Japan built Tracker that first started its life in California and through much internet searching and gleaning through a ton of info I have learned that 'no check engine light and running great leave it alone'... I also learned that the wiring I posted a picture of is part of a system that (for some Tracker/Sidekicks) will be prompted to light up at 50k, 80k, and 100k as part of their maintenance and this switch resets upon flipping. I also learned that some early Japan built California models do not even have the switch (even some early Canadian models). The Tracker I pulled the wiring from was a 1990 Tracker 5Spd 4x4 and seemed unmolested under the dash and the switch was right next the speaker (I looked under the steering column first). Again, learning so much

Fivestar

1 - 3 of 3 Posts