Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 1987 Samurai that I want to replace the stock shocks on. Looking for a little softer ride as I use this rig for a local driver and a little trail use. Any tips?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I have gone through many different suspension changes, bumper changes and weight changes (the vehicle not me - I've pretty much stayed the same over the years).
But I have kept the same Rancho adjustables on the back for almost 12 years now. I just change the setting to meet my comfort level and any changes in the vehicle. They are pricier than the standard auto parts store shocks, but they have allowed for a much greater lifespan over the course of the vehicle's upgrades.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shocks

Thanks for the reply. Are the Rancho shocks easy to adjust and what did you do for the front shocks? Thanks Capt Ron

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
i seem to keep loosing my posts...

The shocks aren't going to soften your ride with stock springs. Those springs are a hard ride and the shocks don't have to do much work on dampening the return since they dont have much flex to begin with. If you want a softer ride you are going to need to replace the springs and/or suspension. There's about a bazillion different ways to go with the suspension, but if you want to keep it inexpensive, have a softer ride, and not change the ride height much, the suspension that you should do is the Jeep YJ springs in the spring under configuration. That will only lift it a couple inches, but it will soften the ride a lot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shocks

I thought about changing the front springs anyway as they look like they lost there arc. Thanks Capt Ron

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I thought about changing the front springs anyway as they look like they lost there arc. Thanks Capt Ron
Remember that stock Samurai springs were designed to ride flat. So if they have no arch, it doesn't mean they are toasted yet... watch out for the dreaded negative arch.

As for my front shocks...
I started with the longest adjustables that Rancho made, and then trashed them during an unfortunate suspension failure a few years back. When I went to replace them, I got tempted by the DeutschTech shocks with built in bumpstops... I haven't trashed them yet.

·
Registered
193 Posts
When I had OME springs installed, I changed to the "Gabriel Gas Rider Shocks" that Petroworks offers. The combination greatly improves ride comfort and the springs provide a small lift. It's another option to consider. The stock springs are VERY stiff, and on short wheelbase vehicle, ....
Well, you already know what that's like!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts