Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying an '87 Samarai rock crawler with a well worn 1.3 that blows oil for a couple minutes after starting. It has a gotpropane kit so a fuel injected 1.3 is not an option.

Running an ad for a good 1.6 for about $300. Have read that it may bolt in and have read that adapters are available.

Hoping somebody has some experience or something with this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It doesn't always blow smoke after start up. We think it may be valve seals. Good valve shop in Colorado?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 1.6 was one of the easiest swaps ive ever done, i also added an isky cam, thorly header, and a weber carb. Only regret is the weber, they are horrible at climbing hills, should have gone harley carb conversion

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
You need an adapter and you need to move or replace one engine mount to get the engine in. If you are running standard height then you will need to use the 1.3 oil sump and modify the oil pick up pipe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. I have read that the 1.6 exhaust manifold is pretty darned good stock. Apparently my readings about how great webers are did not include climbing. Propane seems great so far. I bought the tube buggy for climbing.

Getting ready to put it through some paces with nice weather. Welded Toyota axles, 38" tires, and 6.5:1 transfer case...have my hopes up.

The challenge so far has been finding a 1.6. Could be the time of year...still winter in Colorado. Do the 1.6s cost much more than the 1.3s?

I have seen 1.3s that "seemed alright" for $300.

The 1.6 was one of the easiest swaps ive ever done, i also added an isky cam, thorly header, and a weber carb. Only regret is the weber, they are horrible at climbing hills, should have gone harley carb conversion

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bottom of the oil pan is 32" off the ground. Doesn't seem stock.

You need an adapter and you need to move or replace one engine mount to get the engine in. If you are running standard height then you will need to use the 1.3 oil sump and modify the oil pick up pipe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Climbed my first hill today. It could use a 1.6 with a few mods. With the 6.5:1 transfer case, it has the power to climb. The problem is getting the 38s started without 4WD reduction.

Rides like a small tank. I'll have to look into improving the ride quality. Probably would involve compromises.

I can unlock the front hubs until the climbing starts.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you recall the 1.6 production years that gave "easy swaps?"

How did you find a 1.6?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry habe not been on in a while my 1.6 was out of a 93 tracker, but an zuke 1.6 should be just as easy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts