Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had to replace lights on thier instrument cluster? I'm just wondering if I need to drop the steering wheel to do this (repair manual says I do) or has some one found another way. I have a 1996 Suzuki Sidekick, (details below).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Never had to do that, however, it's a lot easier if you give slack to the speedometer cable. Good luck.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Funny, I've had my speedo out twice and it's still vague! lol I dropped the column just by loosening the two bolts that hold it up. The most aggravating part was the speedometer connection back of the speedometer. Loosen the parts which hold the speedometer cable underneath the hood to get more slack in the cable, like Ranger said, then you can coax the speedometer out. It's not all that bad to get out.
dne' ;)

·
Registered
2,531 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,904 Posts
As Ranger says, it will be far easier for you to disconnect the speedo cable at the tranny, so that it will allow you to move the cluster out a bit. With the speedo cable attached, you need teeny weeny hands to get behind it to do anything. You don't need to remove the column or anything else.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Note that this is a 1996 with a different dash (than the earlier trackicks) and an airbag in the steering wheel. It might be a bit tighter... I do not remember taking my '96's speedo out, so I am not sure.

·
Super Moderator
26,904 Posts
Good eye, Mike. It's essential when working on the dash, etc., of these cars with airbags that you disconnect the airbag function before doing anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.