Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do I remove the headlight assembly on 1999 esteem? Does any one know that could help me out. I would like to replace my parking light on drivers side.:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
still need help...

Hello and thanks for the response, seems no one else has responded. I can't figure out how to get to the headlight assembly still. I was thinking maybe take the fender and bumper off??

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
check your owners handbook, you usually jack the car up, take the front wheel off and remove the inner guard panel to access the rear of the light fitting that you cant get to from under the bonnet, I've never seen a car yet you have to remove the assembly from to change a lamp. Batteries and other under body bits yeas, the whole assembly? no.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Detailed instructions from the Baleno owners manual says "open the bonnet". Gives the impression all bulbs in the headlight unit can be reached from within the engine bay :huh:.

·
Super Moderator
12,173 Posts
I've never seen a car yet you have to remove the assembly from to change a lamp.
Off topic but - I've got one here - SQ series Vitara/Grand Vitara - replacement of a park lamp bulb requires removal of the headlamp assembly, which requires removal of the grille.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Off topic but - I've got one here - SQ series Vitara/Grand Vitara - replacement of a park lamp bulb requires removal of the headlamp assembly, which requires removal of the grille.
ok, thats interesting, none of the models released here require that.

·
Super Moderator
12,173 Posts
Oh, they do, the SQ series were sold in New Zealand - doesn't matter which market they were built for - the procedure for replacement of the bulbs doesn't change.

Did you get the Mitsubishi Pajero iO there - on that vehicle replacement of the turn signal bulb requires removal of the headlamp assembly - it's actually more challenging than the GV - and yes, I own one of those also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah ... not the case here. Sadly I will have to remove the whole assembly to be able to access the screws or whatever that holds the plastic housing in place. The bulb is like right there and it is apparent that it just pulls out from the front but to do this you have to be able to get the cover off. the clip on the back of the assembly when unclipped doesn't have the bulb attached it just unclipps the assembly for removal. (very stupid design) will cost $85 to have a shop do it. Didn't want to buy a shop manual just to replace a $6 bulb .... but seems no one knows how to do this task so guessing I'll get a manual if I can't figure out after taking off the fender and or bumper ....lol <-- lame

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Yeah ... not the case here. Sadly I will have to remove the whole assembly to be able to access the screws or whatever that holds the plastic housing in place. The bulb is like right there and it is apparent that it just pulls out from the front but to do this you have to be able to get the cover off. the clip on the back of the assembly when unclipped doesn't have the bulb attached it just unclipps the assembly for removal. (very stupid design) will cost $85 to have a shop do it. Didn't want to buy a shop manual just to replace a $6 bulb .... but seems no one knows how to do this task so guessing I'll get a manual if I can't figure out after taking off the fender and or bumper ....lol <-- lame
ummmm....i'm confused, the clips hold the lamp assembly together, the park light should be in a holder that twists and pops out allowing you to replace the lamp

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is what I assumed too but when I pinched the clip it was only a dis connect to the housing. I expected a bulb to be attached to the clip but that was not the case and the part that the clip attaches to does not twist out like the break lights do it is molded to the housing.If it were that simple ... I wouldn't be here asking if anyone knew how to remove the light assembly. It's a 1999 esteem but it doesn't seem anyone here has my year and model.It's just a parking lamp bulb so it's really very trivial to me at this point and it's winter here in Idaho so I'm not very likely to work on my car in the snowy cold weather for I haven't a garage to work in so I'm just trying to find some information for when I do go to fix the issue. But it's looking more and more that I should just buy a shop manual ... lol

·
Super Moderator
12,173 Posts
Looking at the parts catalogue (I haven't touched an Esteem since my sister sold hers) - the park lamp bulb comes out with the socket, which is a twist & remove type, exactly like the one on the GV I mentioned earlier - whether or not it can be removed without removing the entire headlamp assembly will depend on how much clearance there is behind the socket - it MAY not be possible.

I should have the Esteem FSM, but it is not on this computer - probably on the one at work - I'll look for it and get back to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm confused (not difficult), sometimes it sounds like the bulb has just fallen out the push fit holder :confused:

So from this picture the small white clip to the lower left of the headlight bulb/socket is the parking lamp clip. On mine that clip will unclip when pinched and it comes off however there is no bulb attached just the female/Male end of the clip and if it twists off mine doesn't seem to.??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that's what I thought but I can't seem to twist it off ?? maybe too cold here right now for the plastic...I'll try again on my day off with a heat gun. Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Oh, they do, the SQ series were sold in New Zealand - doesn't matter which market they were built for - the procedure for replacement of the bulbs doesn't change.

Did you get the Mitsubishi Pajero iO there - on that vehicle replacement of the turn signal bulb requires removal of the headlamp assembly - it's actually more challenging than the GV - and yes, I own one of those also.
never got the iO pajero here, and the GV is about 2 mins, 1 x 10mm head screw, 3 push pins and i can get to the park light and the fog lamp on mine. Annoying to have to take the inner guard panel out to do it, but not as bad as the H4's on the air intake side for my big paws.

The SQ's road registered here mostly had additional side marker lamps fitted as they factory ones didn't comply with NZ regs of the day, the farm ones that never went on the road probably stayed standard.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Are you just trying to replace the bulbs or replace the entire plastic headlight shell?

If you are trying to replace the entire plastic headlight shell then yes you do have to remove the entire bumper to get to the screws.

·
Super Moderator
12,173 Posts
never got the iO pajero here, and the GV is about 2 mins, 1 x 10mm head screw, 3 push pins and i can get to the park light and the fog lamp on mine. Annoying to have to take the inner guard panel out to do it, but not as bad as the H4's on the air intake side for my big paws.
That sounds like a JB (which I also have) not the SQ.

·
Registered
811 Posts
That is what I assumed too but when I pinched the clip it was only a dis connect to the housing. I expected a bulb to be attached to the clip but that was not the case and the part that the clip attaches to does not twist out like the break lights do it is molded to the housing.If it were that simple ... I wouldn't be here asking if anyone knew how to remove the light assembly. It's a 1999 esteem but it doesn't seem anyone here has my year and model.It's just a parking lamp bulb so it's really very trivial to me at this point and it's winter here in Idaho so I'm not very likely to work on my car in the snowy cold weather for I haven't a garage to work in so I'm just trying to find some information for when I do go to fix the issue. But it's looking more and more that I should just buy a shop manual ... lol
As far as I am aware there is no manual for this car unless you want the official Suzuki manual, neither Haynes or Chilton ever made one since this car was only in production for eight years, maybe they have one now idk.

I've had the 1999 1.6 and the 2002 1.8, they are both basically the same car except that they came with different engines, different radios, and different sized brake assemblies (the 1.8 models have bigger brakes), other than that the 1999 to 2002 are the same cars.

Suzuki had two different models of Esteem the 1995 to 1998 which had a weird looking body and 1999 to 2002 which had a nicer looking more streamlined body, after that they were discontinued in the United States although they continued to sell them elsewhere in the world under different names depending on what country they were being sent to.

With all of that being said... there is a factory manual that you can download that is basically an 800+ page automated PDF that someone spent hours and hours scanning, I don't remember where it is but maybe someone else will.

Also... I also used to run a website for the 1999 1.6, it doesn't include everything but important things like the brakes, EGR valve, and replacing the timing belt, and the other drive belts, with pictures, etc.

Its old and dated looking by today's website standards but if you want a copy of all the files send me an email to [email protected] and I'll send you a zipped copy of it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts