Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys and Gals, so Im replaceing the door on my sidekick, its an 89 2 door JX 1.8 8v. I got off most of the door stuff but I am stumped on the window crank system. I dont know how to get the handle that cranks off of the unit on the other side of the door, I dont want to force it due to I only have 1 set of hardware for both doors (2 windwos tho, score me). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
DuncJames

·
Administrator
16,319 Posts
There's a clip in a slot in the handle that snaps into a groove in the winder shaft - your options are to ...

a) wrap a strip of rag in a U shape around the spindle in between the door panel & the winder base and holding the ends of the rag, pull back & forth in a sawing motion whilst simultaneously moving around in a circle - at some point the rag will catch the end of the clip and pop it off.

b) ease the door panel inward and peek into the slot and pop the clip with a long thin screwdriver.

c) use a trim removal tool - slide it into the gap and pop the clip off.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome! I saw the clip but figured there was a lot more to it. Ill try and get the door off today and get back to everyone. do I have to take the window out to put in all of the hardware?

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
A word of warning. Do this with the door shut, if possible - that clip has a tendency to fly out, and can be difficult to find in your driveway.....
And what hardware (other than the crank) are you trying to remove? The glass itself will stay up (or wherever you want it), unless you are removing the window regulator inside the door as well. If you are replacing the door, and switching over the regulator, etc., to your new door, then yes, you need to remove the glass. It is screwed into a bracket that you can easily see through the inside door panel, if you roll the window down half way or so. There are instructions on the forum for re-installing it. You need to be careful when you replace the glass in the regulator, as it must be balanced just so, for the glass to roll up straight.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Lubricate the regulator while it's out, you'll be able to do a more thorough job. Also, spray some silicone on the glass seal and guides, it makes window operation a lot smoother and less effort cranking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts