Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,I have always done well with getting answers and tips when I needed them here and so is there any info or tips I should know while im replacing my shot fac clutch with a Petroworks clutch?I can do light mechanic work but ive never replaced a clutch.A buddy is helping me that has done many but not a on a sammy.I know you guy do this stuff all of the time so just wanting some feedback before I start in the morning??

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
It is easiest if you pull the jackshaft and front driveshaft, disconnect and drop the trans. I can do a clutch in about 2 hours now doing it like that and it really gives plenty of room afterthe trans is out of the way.

Great decission to go with the PW HD clutch. You will probably not have to replace the clutch again for many years... My (PW) trail zook clutch is now probably 6-7 years old and still going strong.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great,that was kinda my plan.Is there one thing that may be the most troubling in this job?lol.Im making myself sound stupid but ive never went this far with machanic work,thats why I wanted to do it myself with a coach of course,lol.If you can do it in two then I should be done by midnight if I start 1st thing in the morning!lol

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh,i failed to mention that I also have to replace my flywheel.It has some teeth missing so any info on that job as well I can use.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I got a new flywheel from rockauto.com this summer and it works fine, except that it was missing the timing marks, but the dremel tool care that of that.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea,I remembered that.We have the trans out and my throw out bearing is trashed! Haven't got the clutch out yet. I'm 2hrs in so far but a lot further than i thought I'd be,lol. It's sandwich time right now! So far so good!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well,bad news!Got my clutch done today and it took about 6 hrs but although I needed the new flywheel & both bearings were shot my clutch wasnt in that bad of shape but I do like the PW clutch! After getting all back togethger that god awful noise I had was still there!!My buddy rode with me this time and he said no doubt its in my tranny!!!He said it sounded like a bad bearing ?Ok,so my next question,how much trouble is it to rebuild my tranny myself ????I can get a kit from Low Range,which is where I have been getting all my parts,for $129 but a rebuilt tranny with a core is almost $1000!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
thats a bummer man.. did you also replace the pilot bearing? does the sound go away when clutch is out? You can figure out which bearing it is by putting the t-case in neutral and shifting the through the tranny gears while reving. listen for the loudest one, its probably 5th.. if it shifts smooth you can buy just the gears but then again if youre going in there you might as well spend the extra 45 bucks and replace the syncros!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
reason it cost so much for a rebuilt one is that it's a lot of labor involved. You can do it yourself but take your time and don't cut any corners. What kind of noise is it making?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Baratacus,
It sounds like metal to metal and almost like something is spinning??Which is why I thought bearing?I drained the fluid and it had ALOT of metal flake in it!

My buddy thinks we can do it but just how involved is the inside of a zuk tranny??Low Range sells a rebuild kit for $130 but dont think it comes with gears just synco's & bearings.Im open ears to any info cause im lost as last years easter egg here????Ive never been this deep into machanic work!Not that im not able just never been here,lol.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Off topic but izook.com has changed and looks like it navigates better, except for missing page 1 of the transmission rebuild tech article.
iZook has changed hands. I retired after a good 10 years there, so it moved over to a new Editor. Eric Bewley was one of the original four of us to start iZook. He left iZook and built ZukiWorld.com
He has stepped up to the plate and taken on the mantle of Editor at iZook.com
I know he will do good things.

If you want to see the full article, I have the original on my personal site here:
Tranny Rebuild

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow,this does look over whelming!!I am willing to try it anyway.I have found a tranny on ebay im watching,im thing about buying one there just to get me back on the road and then take my time and rebuild mine.I have a couple of questions:Where can I get a service manual to show me what I need as izook says and how do I get the new bearing back on?Do I need to take them somewhere to be pressed on or is this something I can do?By the way,you guys are awesome!Thanks for everyones input!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh,I meant to ask,My clutch pedal goes 1/2 way to the floor before it starts to hit resistance?Is there an adjustment on the pedal its self?I adjusted the clutch cable correctly,I think?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Wow,this does look over whelming!!I am willing to try it anyway.I have found a tranny on ebay im watching,im thing about buying one there just to get me back on the road and then take my time and rebuild mine.I have a couple of questions:Where can I get a service manual to show me what I need as izook says and how do I get the new bearing back on?Do I need to take them somewhere to be pressed on or is this something I can do?By the way,you guys are awesome!Thanks for everyones input!!
The article was shot in my garage. I did it using hand tools and a couple of long reach gear pullers. It can be done without a press, but you have to be careful when you tap the bearings back together. I used a brass drift for the tougher parts.
You can download the Factory Service Manual at .:Suzuki Download Archive:.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
oh,I meant to ask,My clutch pedal goes 1/2 way to the floor before it starts to hit resistance?Is there an adjustment on the pedal its self?I adjusted the clutch cable correctly,I think?
No adjustment at the pedal, it is all down at the end of the cable where it attaches to the oil pan.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So Billjohn,my pedal should be tighter though right?Could my cable need replacing?I think I have it adjusted as far as I can go and its still loose?

·
Registered
293 Posts
@KJ2837 - what area of Nashville do you live? I have a 12-ton shop press due to arrive from Harbor Freight on Thurs. I have never used a shop press or rebuilt a transmission, but willing to help if can make the trip to Mt Juliet. Got the press to replace the bearings in my transfer case and since it was $110 delivered to my door, I couldn't pass it up. Also just replaced my clutch cable as I am slowing replacing everything (or so it seems) on my '91. Private message me if you think you could use a little local assistance.

@BillJohn - just want to say thanks for the support that you provide to the Samurai community. People like you, Ack, and Baratacus here have unknowingly helped me immensely over the last couple of years as I rebuild mine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts