Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anybody send me instructions on how to change an alternator
i have a '00 6 cyl. 4wd gv. alternator is bad looks like alot of work
and i want to do it right. any help is appreciated

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,264 Posts
How was the alternator diagnosed as bad??

.... Philip

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pulled the batt cable off and it turned off also went to advanced auto they said the alt was bad

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,264 Posts
You understand that the vehicle has electronics aboard, ECU, that do not do well with that type of diagnostics... Spikes and run-away voltages..

You must, load test the charge system as a complete unit, the small electronic devices the auto stores test with are not reliable test beds...

...... Philip

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
what would be the best way to find out? the batt is ok i had that checked from the store that i got it from also didn't realize what i could have done to the electroncs checking it
that way ol skool i'll know better next time. reason i did all that was the batt light came on i charged the batt and it still came on.

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
Removed from the top, as I recall. You'll have to tackle the belts initially from above for sure.

You need to REALLY familiarize yourself with the referenced links of earlier and have a decent selection of tools in hand or close by on loan.

This is a pic of the general layout of the components. Note that the serpentine outer belt captures the inner alt belt, so you'll need to remove both.

This shows the alt low and in tight quarters at the bottom left, (fan, radiator, timing cover and assorted other parts removed for chain work).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts