Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 SX4 and the pop-up Garmin GPS unit has quit working. Does anyone know if there is an upgraded direct replacement model that will just snap right in, or do I have to find an old one? I'd like to find one that has free map updates. Thanks. Bill

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
you might be out of luck, those Garmin units were propriety and are a long way past their expected life span.

Sadly you might be in for a tom tom or other brand of nav unit to stick onto the screen that has a lifetime map update.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I contacted a Suzuki dealership and am waiting for a response. I figure if I took the car in to have it replaced they'd come up with something. I'll post their solution here for anybody else that is in the same situation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
suggestion about buying an Android radio/gps is an EXCELLEWNT choice. I just installed one and it is great! cost $110.00. do you have steering wheel controls for your radio? if so, that will complicate matters a bit.....but still the best solution.

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
I have an aftermarket unit with inbuilt nav, but like all inbuilt nav systems, map updates cost. Get something with android auto and use google maps off the phone, or a stick on the window nav unit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
and another positive: you can easily reach the screen when it's in your radio position and not way forward on the dashboard.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also went with an android head unit. It has its annoyances, but works well enough for the price I paid for it. ($170 with a reverse camera)

I can use my sygic maps, which can easily update from the garage via my home wifi.

Google maps works, too, but it takes data, which I skimp on because I am cheap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts