Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I' a new member to this forum 'cos I'm looking replacing my 98 XJ Jeep Cherokee with something a little newer and Japanese (hopefully a bit more reliable!).
A GV is attracting me because they look to be the best of the smaller 4wds. I'm looking for something to go camping with, fishing (tackling some beach driving) and carrying my mountain/road bikes.
I'm not familiar with the variety of GVs on offer in Australia. Is low range a standard fitting or will I have to seek one out with that? How "deep" is the low range, particularly on the autos? My Jeep (petrol/LPG) has an auto box and I think they're great off-road, but they can run-away down hill if not carefully controlled.
I've heard that the GV now comes with a diesel option - sounds very attractive to me! But I've also heard that the particle filters did provide a few problems. Is this still the case and was it just a case of the owners only running their units around town?
Any advice would be really helpful - especially if one model/year/engine is a better choice than another.
Thanks in advance, PK

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Gee, I thought they'd be heaps of replies by now from those across the Tasman.

The low range ratio is about 2:1 and I think all GVs in Aus have this feature, others here can verify that.

I would suggest the 2009+ which have a number of improvements over the earlier version. You can distinguish them from earlier models by the rear disk brakes.

In the 2009+ I think the 2.4 4-cyl is fine (166 hp) but the 3.2 V6 is great for towing power, and of course there is the diesel. The 4-cyl petrol auto is a 4-spd and V6 has a 5-spd, but both cover roughly the same range of ratios. The trannies are good quality (Aisin, supplies Toyota as well.) The diesel can only be had with a 5-spd manual.

If you go for an earlier model your choices are a 2.0 4-cyl and a 2.7 V6 petrol, same diesel and tranny options.

There was a hill descent option, but I don't now the availability in Aus.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
At idle, the speed in 1st gear in low range on ours is a walking speed. It will maintain this down very steep hills without using the brakes. But then the 2.7 V6 with 5-spd automatic, as ours is, may be set up differently from yours.

Don't expect the GV to be as useful for rock-crawling, since it has less clearance than the Cherokee. It doesn't have skidplates either. Of course, there are mod kits for both of these limitations.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Low range is standard in all 5 door models of the current shape except of course the latter model rear disc 2wd models.

The only 4wd model that didn't have it was the earlier model 1.6 3 door before the rear disc brake update. So you should be safe buying anything that has the 4wd switch on the dash under the aircond controls which like most cherokees runs all modes except the suzuki doesn't do the 2wd option. So you have full time onroad 4wd, parttime 4wd low and high for offroad and neutral for flat towing behind motorhomes.

Models offered in qld may vary slightly in equipment and limited editions due to a different distributer to the rest of oz.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks. I must say that the diesel does appeal - torque, long touring range, good compression braking and widespread availability of fuel "in the bush". I had heard some negative comments about particle filter problems on Suzis though, but I also believe that the problem was rectified in later models. I also believe this to be a general comment about ALL diesel engines when they are used in urban settings.
I take note of the rock crawling limitations. But to be honest, I don't get up to much of that in the Jeep either. I'd rather get a vehicle that offers better fire trail/gravel road practicality, such as a GV.
Thanks all, PK

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm happy with my 2008 Diesel. No DPF probs, and just clocked over 110K. Economy is good, and easy to chip, just plug and play.
Quite a lot of mods are available to increase your outback experience. :)

There is a small common problem with the Diesels. 2 small rubber hoses which run from the DPF, have a tendency to perish and hole. Easy fix though, and not expensive. (do it yourself for $22.)

If you look at a Diesel, just check the tail pipe. It should have a clean stainless steel look on the inside, and not covered in black soot ;) (DPF probs)

Diesels run the Renault 1.9L F9Q engine. Very popular across a lot of makes of cars. They do sometimes develop a rear main oil leak. Best you check that to.

Apart from that, see you out bush :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a 2008 diesel and love it! Very impressed with its offroad capabilities (have lifted king springs and bigger tyres) and its fuel economy / range. Regularly get 800km+ to a 60 litre tank. Only real downside to the diesel over a petrol is its performance, certainly could do with more power.....but you cant have everything i suppose :)
Oldtrack has covered the usual issues, i have black soot around my tailpipe and have no issues with the DPF etc. Most of my driving is 80-100km/h plus, i think the main problems you see regarding the DPF are when the car is just being driven around town or in traffic.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
While researching Suzuki's plans for future diesels I stumbled across this article on how the F9Q was adapted for the GV by Ricardo PLC. Starts on page 10.

http://ricplc.com/Documents/RQ%20pdf/RQ%202006/RQ-Q1-2006.pdf

Ricardo are a dead-famous company in engine development and I was fortunate enough to visit them in the early '80s.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi XJ Kirky and welcome.

Had a 96 XJ from new for around 5 years and to compare to a GV is difficult. Live front and rear axles with a true LSD on the back, big torquey flat 4L petrol through an auto box on a body weight of around 1,500kgs, unstoppable in the sand and climbing steep terrain. Admitedly I had a few mods, particularly 2" of lift and 31" BFG muddies. Only down sides? Really tough to not lock up on steep muddy downhills and it drank ULP at unbelievable rates.

With a few 4bies in between, I've now got a moderately modded Deisel GV and couldn't be happier. These only come in a manual and the combination is probably not best for beach work (IMHO petrol autos have it all over any other configurations in soft sand) but the economy is sensational.

I've put it through some pretty ordinary terrain in the Vic High Country, Flinders Ranges and Otways with just the Bridgestone ATRs and it hasn't dissapointed but at the end of the day, even with the security of bash plates, snorkels and diff breathers, there are places I would take the Jeep that I would not risk the GV on. Even after a 40mm lift, the transfer case, exhaust, rear diff and sill panels are still pretty close to terra firma.

If you're looking for a tourer with low range capabilities and not needing anything bigger than 31" tyres, you'd be hard pressed to find a more reliable and econimcal vehicle than the new GV with a few mods. If you're going more extreme than that, I don't think the GV is for you.

Guessing there might be some in the forum that don't share my thoughts but it's just my opinion, and when you've got Cruisers, Patrols and Jeeps with anything between 33" and 37" tyres tearing up tracks, now more than ever I need to selective on where to go (Did Canunda 20 years ago in a stock SJ410 on 28" tyres, wouldn't get 1/4 way now).

Are you in Melbourne? If so, I'm happy to meet somewhere if you want to take a look before you commit.

Cheers
Wes

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Low range is standard in all 5 door models of the current shape except of course the latter model rear disc 2wd models.

The only 4wd model that didn't have it was the earlier model 1.6 3 door before the rear disc brake update. So you should be safe buying anything that has the 4wd switch on the dash under the aircond controls which like most cherokees runs all modes except the suzuki doesn't do the 2wd option. So you have full time onroad 4wd, parttime 4wd low and high for offroad and neutral for flat towing behind motorhomes.

Models offered in qld may vary slightly in equipment and limited editions due to a different distributer to the rest of oz.
Just for reference, anyone from North America reading this should be aware that the first year of this generation, '06, as sold in Canada and the US, had low range only on the JLX-L, or most expensive model. After that, the low range either came standard or was an option on all but the cheaper/cheapest model. Eventually it may have become standard on all models. There were also 2wd versions sold in North America, and diesels were never sold here. Nor was the 2-door version.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.