Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking forward to the day when I have this thing running smoothly and trouble-free... :)

After finding gas in the crankcase oil, I parked the Sam and today I replaced the fuel pump, making sure that the actuator rod was fully retracted before I installed it. The truck started immediately, idled well for about 2 minutes, then died. On getting out, I noticed a puddle of oil under the engine. Engine would not start again. I used some ether to get it to run just a little bit and the instant it runs, oil pools out on the flat part of the engine back behind the fuel pump right back where I can't see where it's coming from.

Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Double check the lines to make sure you hooked them up correctly. It sounds like the motor was just running on what was left in the float bowl.

Then make sure the fuel pump gasket has a good seal. You may want to find a small mirror to extend down there to see where it is actually coming out as someone else cranks the motor.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like the motor was just running on what was left in the float bowl.

Then make sure the fuel pump gasket has a good seal. You may want to find a small mirror to extend down there to see where it is actually coming out as someone else cranks the motor.
That's exactly what I thought, too.

Am taking a mirror out there ASAP, but it's raining right now and up here in NE New Mexico we don't complain about rain. :)

I'm reading up on the distributor O-ring leak. I did take the dist cap off so that I could get to the pump bolts easier. Could I have knocked something loose? I doubt it.... it's probably a poor seal on the pump.

Thanks for the help- I sure wish I could return the favor! Anything you want to know about guitar setup, ranching, coyote hunting, or Kawasaki KX125s? :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got a mirror in there and it does indeed look like the very bottom of the pump isn't seated. I think I can see a little oil drip there. It was raining/snowing and freezing in the garage and the overhead lights woudn't turn on because of the cold, so I just bagged it until tomorrow. Supposed to be sunny and 55 then.

Wonder why the pump didn't seat though? I cleaned the gasket surface, turned the engine over by hand until the pin was retracted, and everything went together smooth.

That pin doesn't move very much does it? Maybe 1/8" at best?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I haven't measured the cam lobe, but it is not very tall - small stroke. The fact that the pump wasn't seated droped the length of that stroke, so that's probably the reason it wasn't pumping fuel.

Cold weather sucks, even down here where it normally stays warmer.:p

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I got a good look at everything and it is definitely leaking from the bottom of the fuel pump. I could see little spittles of air coming out when we cranked over this morning. I removed the new fuel pump and here's where it gets ugly.

Neither the old pump nor the new one seat well. When I hold them both in place, the mating surface looks curved so that there's a gap at either bolt, depending on which one you favor. When I removed the original pump yesterday, there was no gasket and a bunch of RTV sealant. I thought "oh well, they just didn't have a gasket". However, it looks to me like there's got to be sealant in there. I hate that, but that's what I did, too. Removed my new pump, put some RTV on the gasket surfaces- enough to seal- and then tightened it all down, as evenly as I could.

I'm not happy about this, but I don't see anyway to make that mating surface flat and it looks like the engine side that's lopsided.

Temp's 55 today. Sunny. Nice.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I have never seen that happen so bad in such a small surface. But if it isn't a buildup of burnt oil that is causing the problem, then I would pull the head and find a machine shop that can mill the mating surface. It may be the engine's way of telling you that it "would like to have a rebuild, please".
;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But if it isn't a buildup of burnt oil that is causing the problem,

then I would pull the head and find a machine shop that can mill the mating surface. It may be the engine's way of telling you that it "would like to have a
Gasket surface is as clean as can be.

I may do that later this summer when the weather turns better and I start spending more time at the garage (I have a Ford 8N that needs a new head, too). For now, I'd like to just drive the thing a little bit. All I've done since I got it is work on it. :( I just want to be reassured that it's worth all this effort.

Back to work- I'm putting my '02 Yamaha Grizzly back together so it'll be ready for this summer's work. I re-did our '05 after it bent a valve thank to a slipped cam chain, and it came out so well I decided to do the '02 this winter. Hi-compression piston (we're at 6,000') really gave the '05 a ton of low-end pull. I want to get the Grizzly up and running and then I might pull Suzy into that spot and get to work.

And BTW- I got the Hankook Dynapro MT tires. We had a bunch of snow and mud and drove it around just a little before I started on the fuel pump. Terrific traction!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the fuel pump off and in hand. We absolutely verified it leaking at the bottom of the pump's mating surace.

Before I removed it, I pulled the fuel hose off and cranked the engine over- no fuel came out the fuel outlet.

With the pump off, I removed the push pin and then tested the fit of the pump. It clearly rocks on the mating surface. Does not fit like I expect things to fit.

Dunno what I'll do now. I think I'll just let it sit there for awhile.

On the upside, the Grizzly fired right up.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Put a straight edge across the pump and also across the mounting surface one of them must be warped. It used to happen quite a lot on the old 2 bolt flange fit carbs when they were overtightened. We used to square them off with a file and then finish with wet and dry on a glass plate.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Put a straight edge across the pump and also across the mounting surface one of them must be warped.
The pump's easy- it's right there in my hand. It's flat. The engine surface is tougher- the studs are in the way and it's way back there over hoses, under hoses, etc. Since the pump's flat as can be, it has to the head surface. It seems to bending back just past the studs.

Looking like sunny and 55 deg today. I'll be down at the barn and will see if I can figure out anything more.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I should probably keep my mouth shut for a week, but it looks like I got it. When the old pump came off, there was no gasket, just RTV. I was putting the new pump on with the gasket. Before I took it off the last time, I tested it and no fuel was pumping.

With nothing to lose, I decided to put the new pump on w/out a gasket. I cleaned the surfaces with brake cleaner, ran a bead of RTV, and then only snugged the bolts down. I left it over night and went down this morning and tightened everything. And they did tighten a little more. Then I let it sit for another 6 hours.

Hooked a hose up to the outlet, cranked 'er over and was rewarded with STRONG gas output. Hooked the carb inlet up, and fired it up. No immediate oil leak so I let it run for a few minutes. Still no leak. Drove it around the compound a few minutes, pulled back into the barn. No leak. So, I degreased and cleaned everything and then went for a 15 min drive. Returned. No leak.

I went ahead and changed the oil again and there was no gasoline smell in the old oil, although it was a little blacker than it should've been.

We'll see what happens!!!! I will still probably convert to electric before too long, but at least now I can drive around a bit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts