Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a car, and am really drawn to the hatchback/small sport wagon class. I had the Matrix at the top of my list for a few months, then came across the Mazda 3. Still both are a couple thousand dollars out of my budget. Then I stumbled onto the Suzuki Reno accidentally, and pretty much thought I had to look no further. But, further research into the Reno and Suzuki led me to the Aerio, and I'm torn more now between these 2 models of a single brand than I was when it was Toyota vs Mazda. Damn Suzuki for its diversity and versatility! Anyway, I like them both equally for the different qualities they offer. The Aerio for its unique boxy styling (which drew me to the Matrix), the hp, and the positive consumer reviews. And the Reno for its more refined styling and "luxury" features (which drew me to Mazda 3). I haven't been to a dealer yet, so all my knowledge is from forums, reviews, and photos.

Basically, I'm a pretty cautious driver, with occassional wreckless tendencies. I want a car that's "different" and off-beat. I don't need AWD, I like the idea of a high positioned driver's seat, a sunroof is preferable...should I just buy both? More first-hand reviews of the Reno would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for your advice

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have driven both, and they are a different feel. If you want a useful commuter vehicle that gives you a lot of bang for the buck and has tasteful but subdued Euro-looks, then opt for the Reno. The rear hatch is particularly attractive, I think, and it will certainly be different.

If you want more power - more zip from the engine, a little more funky and off-beat design, and a little more time on the market, then opt for the Aerio SX. The changes for 2005 are attractive. I am not a big fan of the Aerio sedan - the SX is very nice and very Japanese looking with a color that contrasts with the black hatch.

The Aerio SX looks a bit more like a hatchback, while the Reno's styling is hard to pin down as belonging to any one category and looks more like a crossover.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wow, this is a tough choice you have to make! I like both equally, since they have different strong points. Like Ming said, the Reno is more European and yes it is more luxurious. But if you want more sport and more cargo room, opt for the Aerio SX.

One of my fellow moderators over at GMI wrote a great editorial comparing both vehicles.
http://forums.gminsidenews.com/showthread.php?t=8757

·
Registered
187 Posts
Great Review by Ghrankenstein. There are pros and cons for both models depending on who you ask. You just have to sort out what you really want out of your car. Dependant on the features that you need/want, you can then make an educated decision on your purchase.

Some of my wife's decisions were a major factor in our purchase (Forenza) she wanted a sedan...I prefer wagon/Hatchbacks. She wanted leather and a Sunroof for a decent price and a sizable trunk. So thats why we bought the Forenza Ex. Just to let you know if I would have had it all my way, I would have bought an Aerio SX. I like the funky styling and I like the power. I didn't care for the digital readout all that much, and I didn't like the minivan like driving position, but those were minor arguements.

I've driven both cars quite throughly and I must say I do enjoy my car more now. I've grown acustomed to it I guess. I think the Reno is a really really nice looking car. It would look awesome with the right aftermarket goodies. Yet I could say the same for the Aerio SX. It's all just a matter of taste really.

You can't go wrong either way.

Good luck with your purchase! Let us know what you end up with :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm familiar with the "rebadging" issue. I read the posts in which that was, um, "discussed." I really don't care what brand I'm driving as long as I happy with every aspect of the car, from looks, to performance, and price...which is the #1 reason Suzuki/GM/Daewoo is appealing to me (well, maybe great looking cars is tied for #1).

Anyway, thanks for that Aerio/Reno review. It was exactly what I was looking for...still very tough to decide, maybe even more so, but good info all the same.

Now, I take my knowledge to the road...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts