Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Reno that has about 45K on it. The other day when I was going around a turn and I went to accelerate, it started revving. The next day, I noticed it jerked a little when I put it in park and again when I went to reverse. Then, a icon started flashing on the dash to indicate a transmission problem.

I called my dealer from home and he said it sounded like some type of a transmission gear-- he had seen it on other Reno cars lately and it was about $150 to fix it. I really hope it's nothing more major-- and that my warranty covers it if it is. Has anyone had this happen to them?? I am worried I am going to get stuck with a huge bill from the dealership.:(

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
sounds like it might be the trans. upgrade. on some of the forenzas/renos there was a problem like this. all they do is reprogram the trans, takes maby an hour. i would look into this before i spend money because the reprograming is free.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Alaner,

Might be a couple things. If fluid is low due to leak. Some pcm updates. Possible internal repair needed which is part of 7/100

·
Registered
235 Posts
P0783 (3-4 Shift Malfunction) is not a code related to the transmission range sensor. P0705 is the code for the range sensor, but P0783 is a sign of internal failure of the transmission. There is a TSB about it, detailing the repair needed. Since you have an Optra, you'll have to see if you still have powertrain warranty remaining, and if you do, it should cover this repair. If the Chevrolet dealer up there doesn't have access to this TSB (it was released by Suzuki), I'm sure myself or someone else could provide it for you to refer to.
~Erik~

·
Registered
83 Posts
P0783 (3-4 Shift Malfunction) is not a code related to the transmission range sensor. P0705 is the code for the range sensor, but P0783 is a sign of internal failure of the transmission. There is a TSB about it, detailing the repair needed. Since you have an Optra, you'll have to see if you still have powertrain warranty remaining, and if you do, it should cover this repair. If the Chevrolet dealer up there doesn't have access to this TSB (it was released by Suzuki), I'm sure myself or someone else could provide it for you to refer to.
~Erik~
i showed this TSB to the guy in the service department, it only confused them. After they kept my car for another two days they just wrote on the job sheet "suzuki TSB on front seat?" and "over oiled aftermarket re-usable air filter."

their claim is that the excessive amount of oil from the aftermaket air filter is gumming up the mass airflow sensor and causing the transmission shift concerns, as far as I know our cars don't have MAS sensors. is there any truth to this claim? i feel like I"m getting jerked around.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The Optra (as long as it's a clone of the Forenza/Rano, which I understand it to be) does NOT have a Mass Airflow sensor, it uses a Speed Density system, which is much more immune to over-oily air filters. I'm going to call totally BS...get a second opinion or call Chevrolet of Canada's hotline. If the TSB just confused them and they're saying the Mass Airflow sensor is causing the concern, they're clearly either totally incompetant or just pumping you full of crap to get rid of you.
~Erik~

1 - 14 of 14 Posts