Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I boost the compression add the headers and exhaust system I should be able to have a good power to 8k. The MSD DIS-2 has been in the back of my mind, I just wanted to go the less costly route. Do you know anything about the rods in this engine? Is that the akelis heal of the engine? The crank seems to be very strong from the looks of it.

kinkyllama said:
I doubt our engine will safly rev that high...actually I know it won't. Not to mention it doesnt make any power that high. What do you have planned?

I think an MSD DIS-2 is your cheapest way to remove it though, but I'm not even possible if it can do that.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
TTGOTH said:
When I boost the compression add the headers and exhaust system I should be able to have a good power to 8k. The MSD DIS-2 has been in the back of my mind, I just wanted to go the less costly route. Do you know anything about the rods in this engine? Is that the akelis heal of the engine? The crank seems to be very strong from the looks of it.
I think the DIS-2 is your cheapest route...its not that bad easy. You can find them used pretty easy.

Don't know much about the rods as I knew they wouldnt handle the power I wanted. Though as far as boost is concerned 12psi is pushing it a bit....I think, I remember something around those lines.

The crank is pretty strong, two of the three guys that know our engines best on this side of the World said the stock crank would handle my goal of 335crank hp

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
TTGOTH said:
I found a DIS-2 for $275.00 used. I might let it pass. I wanna see what the headers and exhaust does first.
Well since it wont do much for performance untill you have the headers and exhaust just keep an eye out for one going stupid cheap. Still the DIS-2 doesnt seam to help much unless your motors really built up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you decide you want to try to rev past the redline limit fo the engine, I would suggest some other work done as well. Such as, shot peening and cryotreating the rods, forged pistons, knife edged crank and a full balancing of the crank, rods, pistons. The faster that engine moves the more any imbalances (however small they are) can cause problems.

So, it's not like the crank isn't strong enough to support the power of the engine, it's that the crank and other parts shouldn't be going quite that fast. I would do some research on it and see what the total rpm capability is of these engines...before revving that high.

I know on another car I used to drive, even though the redline was 8k, if you revved to 7.5 or more, the valve springs would float and move causing a need for a complete rebuild of the head....just watch out...

·
Registered
165 Posts
I completely agree with Legion. To add, however, you are going to need to do some head/valve work to achieve anything that high as well. I don't forsee headers, exhaust and intake opening up enough flow to make any feasable gains by revving that high. The engine needs to be able to move the extra volume of air smoothly in order to use it. Also the stock camshafts are not going to be able to make use of it. I suggest a new intake with a larger plenum volume, a larger throttle body, a cam with a higher lift and duration, porting and polishing, and possibly larger valves to make the higher RPM worth it. Just my two yen!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts