Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone I have a question when removing the front struts on 08 Forenza do just remove the lower bolts and not remove the one bolt I see on top its wierd?

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you are trying to remove the struts, then yes, you will need to remove the bolt on top. I have an '05 Forenza. I don't know if the '08 is any different. You should remove the top bolt before jacking the car up. Otherwise, the whole assembly will drop hard when you remove the top bolt with the car in the air.

You need a special tool to remove the top bolt. You might get lucky with a drop wrench (I did once). I can't recall the serial for the tool. You can find it in the Forenza/Daewoo manual posted by 7-even.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
hi. the reno/forenza has McPherson struts in a "floating" design so they mount into the car by only one bolt on top. if your doing suspension i hope you have a little experience with doing the job or have help. be very careful with the springs even when out of the car theyre still under load. if your not careful the spring can shoot off the strut and hurt someone. heres the link to the online service manual. lots of useful info in it.
Daewoo Service Manual
any other questions just ask

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After I remove the top bolt on my Forenza before I jack it up will the whole assembly drop iam having a friend help me I have done other struts ;)before just not this type that has one bolt hold the top end

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Yes after you take apart everything underneath and undo the top bolt you should be able to slide it out the bottom. Anything else just ask.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Before you jack it up, nothing will happen if you remove the top bolt. The weight of the car will hold everything in place.

Here is a diagram of the strut:

2007 Suzuki Forenza Parts - Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Online Store

If you look at the diagram, the bolt holding the strut on is #22. It's the bolt #20 that holds the spring on the strut.

Obviously, you will need to detach the strut from the knuckle. You will also need to disconnect the sway bar link. You may need to take pressure off the opposite side of the car to do this, as the sway bar will pull tight on it otherwise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
strut mounts

Hello everyone, new in the forum, got my kid a 2007 Forenza but it won't pass safety inspection because they say the front 'strut mounts' are bad and need to be replaced. So, my question is where do I find the parts and how difficult is to replace them? We would like to do the work ourselves. Any info, thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Hi welcome to the forum! Out of curiosity why do they say the mounts are bad? You can get the parts from either RockAuto Parts Catalog or Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Online Store
If you've done the job on another car it should be about the same to get done. If not you should be able to do it in a days work with the right tools. Later today I'll post the link to the online service manual it has the proceedure step by step in it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey 7-even, thanks for your reply, I don't know exactly what they meant by the struts being bad, is my assumption that the bearings are worn. I appreciate the info and will look forward to the service manual.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Well I ask because there saying. The "strut mounts" not the struts are bad. But if it's because the struts have movement in them they're supposed to because there a floating strut design. They just might not know that. I'll post the manual when I get home.

·
Registered
5 Posts
7-Even, wow it might be just that, not alot of people knows that....heck I didn't know that!!
I'm going to have to get a second opinion from a mechanic that is savvy about these types of systems. Unfortunately there are no Suzuki service departments in my area (Virginia)

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
not a bad idea. others on the forum have had mechanics say they need suspension work because they werent sure what they were dealing with. the car has a floating front Macpherson Struts design so theres more play in the front struts than on a normal car. let me know what you find out

·
Registered
5 Posts
so I finally got a chance to take my kids car to the local shop to get its safety inspection done. I told them about the floating struts. With that in mind, they deemed the struts serviceable. But now the car has an 'no air bag' light on. The mechanics are saying that they have to run a diagnostics to identify the problem.
My question to you all is....how difficult would be to troubleshoot this problem with the air bags?

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
hey.. ok, so there is a known problem with the airbag system on the reno/forenza models. Suzuki did send out a TSB to its dealers about the problem with, i believe, a fix. what the "fix" is i unfortunately dont know. i havent been able to find any definite info about it. ive heard it either has something to do with the sensor in the passenger seat or the harness leading to the sensor. i dont know if the inspection laws are different where you are but i live in NY and my airbag trouble lights been on for years and its never stopped me from passing an inspection. if you dont trust the shop take it to someone else and see what they say about it. or you could pay for the diagnosis and also having the system fixed. i have to tell you an airbag system can be expensive to have work done on. i would take it for a second opinion or at least ask someone if you need a working system in order to pass inspection. you could probably get the info about it right over the phone from another shop. good luck!! let us know how it goes

·
Registered
5 Posts
7-even, thanks for the info, I guess the airbag issue has to do with a sensor because when I sit on the passenger side of the car the airbag warning light comes on and off. I checked with the Virginia State Police's website and unfortunately yes, the airbag system is part of the safety inspection. so I guess I'm going to have to suck it up and get it fixed. :crying:

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
hi. no problem. the airbag system is part of the safety inspection here in NY too. i think, i could be wrong lolol, they made a law saying that after a certain year if airbags are in a car they need to be in working order. maybe my car was made before the cut off year. i have an 05 reno. your car might fall into the later group. this might be all wrong though :) i know that now all new cars need to be airbag equipped. anyway its not a bad safety feature to have working. you might want to mention to them the TSB that was issued by Suzuki. heres a link to a site with some info about the airbag issue
Suzuki Reno 2005 - Air bags - car safety information, failing parts, recalls, bulletins, complaints
if they know theres was a TSB (technical service bulletin) issued it might help them get the car fixed much faster and cost a bit less in diagnostic time. goos luck! let us know what they find out it might be useful info for others, like myself, that have the airbag problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts