Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to remove the alternator because the #50 Torx bolt at the bottom is frozen. I have everything off the engine, but the plastic connector on the alternator does not budge. Do I squeeze the tab and pull the sides of the connector like most?

·
Super Moderator
19,083 Posts
See the tab on top?

Squeeze there. The center portion should then slide out.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was on the right track. It is stuck so I shot it with some electrical terminal cleaner and will try again.
This site is very helpful, so I just paid my lifetime dues.
I really appreciate the assistance.

·
Super Moderator
19,083 Posts
Thanks, and glad to help! :)

·
Super Moderator
19,083 Posts
I noticed that you are into cycling Randy. ;)

I picked up on it a couple of years ago myself.

A 1974 Raleigh Super Tourer is my main ride.

I've got a couple of others too. Fixing and flipping a few as of late also.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bikes and Suzuki's go together. Just toss a Yakima rack on top and two bikes are loaded and ready to ride at a moment's notice. I ride mountain bikes mostly off road. Makes nature rides very enjoyable without noise and crowds, and we have a lot of mountain roads and trails. Used to ride street bikes, but here in Oregon bike riding on roads has turned into a cluster with too many people riding three or four across and crowding the traffic and creating problems.

Getting the old alternator pivot bolt out was a challenge. First I welded a nut to the Torx head and that would do nothing but twist the bolt, so I ended up clamping the mount in the drill press and boring the center of the bolt at the threaded end. It took five different sized bits to get the bolt down to where it was paper thin and would break loose from the aluminum. Corrosion had locked the bolt into the aluminum bracket. Also discovered the bolt was 3/8" shorter than the threaded boss, so the new bolt will not only have a real hex head, but it will be longer so all the threads are sealed against corrosion with Loctite.
Took the alternator to the rebuilder while it was out, no sense wasting all the labor getting things out of the way over the few dollars it takes to make it like new again.

·
Super Moderator
19,083 Posts
Having observed Craig's list, e-bay and my Bike forum associations...that coastal corner of the USA is real bike prominent. ;) Lots of "Classic and Vintage" too!

Congrats on the "alt".

·
Registered
17 Posts
thanks for the picture of the clip my wires came out of mine got a replacement and didn't know what wires went to where great help!!

·
Super Moderator
19,083 Posts
Glad to help! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts