Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!!! Just got a 2003 xl7 2.7 with about 117k miles. I need your opinion as to whether regular oil 5w30 or full synthetic 5w30 will give me more years of use of the vehicle. I use all full synthetic on all my other cars. No experience with suzuki cars. Need input please.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
I have used full syn in all my vehicles..

6yrs ago when I bought my wife's 99 Tracker 2L, 96K km, it had the classic chain tick (made exceptional deal$$). the owner was not prepared to invest up to $2k.

I replaced the 10w30 conventional with 5W20 Mobil 1 Syn and a Wix filter, tick was gone in 100KM, and never returned... The oil filler opening showed heavy varnishing.. now relatively clean... Now has >200K Km...

My diagnosis, the chain tension-er was sledged and not extending properly.

.... Philip

·
Super Moderator
13,691 Posts
If you're using synthetic in your other vehicles you can go right ahead and use it in this one.

As far as I'm concerned, unless the vehicle manufacturer specifically recommends that you use a synthetic (or that you not use a synthetic), and Suzuki makes no recommendation one way or the other, then it's personal preference.

I don't buy into the hype (either good or bad) of synthetic, I've used it, personally I don't see a benefit unless you can offset the additional cost through the use of longer oil change intervals, which I'm not prepared to do, so I don't put it in my engine - I do use in the transmissions, transfer case & differentials, where the oil is not subject to contamination with combustion byproducts and doesn't get changed as frequently.

Now - if I were in a different climate (I'm in an all year round warm climate) - I might feel differently.

One last thing - most of the so called "synthetics" on the market are not synthetic, they are nothing more than highly refined mineral oil, do your research, google Castrol vs Mobil suit - and then decide ...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Synthetic oil

Thank you my fellow suzuki owner for your inputs. I really appreciate your time on answering my question. I also replaced the PVC valve today and bought it from Advance Auto parts. The original has the green and purple color, but the replacement Purolator PV1024 only came with the green and black combination. No reason why I replaced it, It just cost me around $4.00. Is the original part better than the purolator part?

·
Super Moderator
18,413 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
synthetic oil

Hello Max! That is amazing to have such mileage. I never had a car that went over 115k. I just hope this first suzuki will go over 200k miles. Thanks for your input.:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
My 98 Sport now has 278,000 miles and it has always had conventional oil. It is all original miles. It taps a little in the mornings but doesn't burn any oil at all. I am shocked that it keeps on running. Very reliable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dealer vs Local parts store

Called the dealer today and ask how much is a new PCV valve and they price it at$38.08 with tax, but advance auto parts sells it for $4.00. Which one is better? Any reason why dealer is more expensive? The person in the dealers part department said it is because it it the original parts.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
There have been reports of the aftermarket one not working properly...

Run it and see what happens, you may be OK.... and $30 richer..

.... Philip

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PCV valve

I am not really 100% confident on the after market PVC valve. There must be other reason why dealer sell it for more. I will try the after market and let you guys know the outcome. Meanwhile I will soak the original in gas to see if I can clean the inside or just use plain alcohol and soak it for few days while I have the cheap PVC in the vehicle. I might end up buying the original anyway just for peace of mind since my wife drives it with our kids.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fuel filter

I am attempting to change the fuel filter of my 2003 xl7 2.7. Any advice or tips on how to change it without causing any headaches. Nothing wrong with the fuel filter.Figured it passed 100k. would probably need a new fuel filter with that mileage. Although I believe in the saying " if it is not broken, don't fix it"

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pcv valve

Replaced my pcv valve with the aftermarket brand and it did not work. I ended up just cleaning the original pcv valve by soaking it in gasoline overnight. reinstalled the original pcv and it is alot better. That is probably why it cost so much at the dealer $45. I have a VW eurovan and the pcv valve is $225.So fellow suzuki owners buy the pcv valve at the dealer or do what I did by soaking it in gas overnight to clean the inside part of the pcv valve.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
pcv valve

The original pcv valve after I cleaned it did not cause excessive smoke. Now its what it should be...clear of smoke.

·
Super Moderator
4,466 Posts
I am attempting to change the fuel filter of my 2003 xl7 2.7. Any advice or tips on how to change it without causing any headaches. Nothing wrong with the fuel filter.Figured it passed 100k. would probably need a new fuel filter with that mileage. Although I believe in the saying " if it is not broken, don't fix it"
Maybe you should start a new thread on this ?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
The original pcv valve after I cleaned it did not cause excessive smoke. Now its what it should be...clear of smoke.
You've never mentioned smoke before in the thread? You even say on page 1

..... I also replaced the PVC valve today and bought it from Advance Auto parts. The original has the green and purple color, but the replacement Purolator PV1024 only came with the green and black combination. No reason why I replaced it, It just cost me around $4.00. Is the original part better than the purolator part?
This is one confusing thread! :confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts