Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 vitara, with a 2 lit motor, just wondering if anyone knows what type of refrigerent is used for the air conditioner , thanks in advance.

·
Registered
383 Posts
It should be stamped on the sticker under the hood.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If US spec, then R134.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not blowing real cold, you can feel it a bit, my diesel truck did the same thing, I topped up the refrigerent and it blew nice and cold again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nothing under the hood for a tag, if it's r134a then we use r12a replacement here in Canada, better for environment , they say, so I can buy a recharge kit for $35 bucks.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
you can't mix refrigerants, and the system will be way less efficient on R12 as it has different characteristics to R134. Check oil compatibility as well, some of the R134 oils are not compatible with R12a

If you want to convert it to R12 and accept the 30% approximate loss in cooling efficiency on this vehicle given the evaporator and compressor sizes then get it done professionally, they will change out the valves to fit the R12 gas connections, flush, fit a new filter / dryer and vacuum the system to remove all the old gas, then refill.

Do not mix the 2 gases. Compressor damage will be the least of your worries.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
oh, did i mention you can't charge a R134 system from a can of R12, the fittings are different, sneaky ay?

·
Registered
12 Posts
you can't mix refrigerants, and the system will be way less efficient on R12 as it has different characteristics to R134. Check oil compatibility as well, some of the R134 oils are not compatible with R12a

If you want to convert it to R12 and accept the 30% approximate loss in cooling efficiency on this vehicle given the evaporator and compressor sizes then get it done professionally, they will change out the valves to fit the R12 gas connections, flush, fit a new filter / dryer and vacuum the system to remove all the old gas, then refill.

Do not mix the 2 gases. Compressor damage will be the least of your worries.
Hi
12 a is diffrent from freon 12 , 12 a is a propane based refrigerant gas which is ozone friendly and has better cooling efficiency than 134 ,
But again you can not and should not mix diffrent refrigerant gases
For more information Google search "duracool"

·
Super Moderator
18,017 Posts
"12 a is a propane based refrigerant gas"
And is illegal to use in most applications due to the inherent flammable characteristics. :oops:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Here are 2 photos showing the Denso Mfg sticker stamped R134a. The photos show the location of the sticker on both a (blue) 00 Grand Vitara and a (red) 01 Chevy Tracker, both USA spec. The non USA spec vehicles might not have this sticker.

You haven't been able to purchase R12 in the US since I think the 80s unless you have a special certification.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dose any body know what's the size of O Ring for both high and low side connection on compressor
2000 vitara 2.0 lirer engine
Thanks in advance

1 - 20 of 23 Posts