1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to hear from Sami owners who have added a
receiver hitch to the front of their rig to accept a winch
and/or tow bar. Thinking not to add a heavy bumper,
but no problem removing the lite weight OEM bumper.
Thinking to add a homebuilt faux bumper that will plug
into the receiver when not using tow bar or winch.
Thanx
arlo

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
My first crawler front bumper had a 'D' ring in the center to yank me out of a tough spot when I got stuck. But I got tired of it clanking all the time.
The bumper was a simple design made from 1/4" wall, 2"x6" steel tube, cut and welded at the ends to look neat. I took an old hitch and embedded it into the bumper in place of the D ring. I then welded a piece of steel the size of a license plate to a piece of 2" hitch steel and had a removable license plate holder. I could remove the plate bracket, slide a strap into the hole and replace the hitch pin. This made a great 'hidden' hitch mount. The hitch pin goes in behind the bumper so nothing sticks out.
I tried o find old pix of it, but that was over 10 years ago, so it's hard to find the angles I wanted...

Now I use that same plate holder in a bracket I welded into the swing away tire carrier out back.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Biljohn,
Perhaps did not make myself clear.
Looking to add a receiver hitch so a winch
in a cradle can be inserted and taken out
at times of use.
Was not wanting to add a bumper, to conserve
weight. Was thinking to fill the receiver with
a home built tube bumper that will be placed in
the receiver hole when not intending to use the
winch. Know that one can use a tow strap
with the receiver and the pin.
Can one simply add a receiver tube to the front
of a Sami using the pipe with the 'D' ring and
attaching to the inside of the frame horns.
arlo

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Before I got my winch and winch bumper, I set up a winch on a cradle like you mentioned. It belonged to a friend, but since I built his rig He wanted me to set it up so we could pass it back and forth as needed until I got mine. Worked well.

If you want to hook up a tow bar, you won't want to hook it up to just the center like I did for the winch. You will want to use a pair of 2" receivers...
Build the receivers to the outside of the frame rails. Set up the tow bar to hook in at the receivers. To set up the winch, build a shelf (cradle) with a connector on each side that slides into the two receivers.

The stock front crossmember (tube) isn't strong enough to support the load. You can press a stronger pipe into the stock tube and it will help. but, my suggestion is to build a shorter 'mini' bumper in the form of a 2x4 tube to link the front ends of the frame rails together. Then build the receivers off of that.

Is that clear as mud?
:cool:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx Biljohn
That is exactly what is needed for
information about the receiver
mounted to the front of my Sami.
It will make my attempt to mount
a winch in a cradle, movable