Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a grand Grand Vitara(03). Only to discover the motor is pooched. Smokiest motor I'VE EVER SEEN on startup. Could be valve seals, could be piston rings.
Was wondering on the difficulty level of rebuilding one of these motors, but no real space to do it, so more interested in finding rebuilt motors to do a swap. And/or SUPER low mileage. Found a shop locally that will do the swap at a very reasonable price. Especially when it comes with a free labourer(me, cuz I want the experience) any help is moochly appreciated. Looking for rebuilds because the prices I've been quoted locally to rebuild mine are insane. Around 10k installed! Also because I would like to build up a dreamtruck thats been in my head for far too long. Any thoughts and suggestions would be awesome. Been considering what to get for a few years now, and these things are the best fit for me.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Welcome Tim. Is this a V6 (H25A) or the I4 (J20 or J16 I think)? How does it run, smoke not withstanding? The V6 engines have a propensity to carbon up the underside of the valve covers where vapors going to the PCV, condense and the oil drains out, and the vapors continue on to the intake.

You need to run a compression test to see how healthy the pistons and heads are. If the compression test checks out (cold, all spark plugs removed, crank for 10 to 15 seconds) your problem is most likely plugged drain holes on the underside of the valve cover, drivers side in North America. Here is a thread that will shed some light on the oil burning.

Good Luck.

·
Super Moderator
17,822 Posts
Try the Wrecker search / used engine link found here...
And welcome aboard! :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm slowly (very slowly!) rebuilding my V6. So far I have about $500 into machine work and that much again in parts. Before I started this endeavor I searched for a replacement also, and the best I could come up with was $1200 for ones in the 120k miles range and no idea on compression. Also, they where either already pulled or still installed but unable to prove they ran. Yikes. OEM parts are sometimes hard to find, and expensive when you do at least in the USA. The hardest part for me has been finding time to work on it. Max's links are very helpful!
With a used one you are going to want to replace all the seals and go over the timing chain system, but if you can hear it run that would help.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
220 Posts
Oh, as for buying a rebuilt I never found one. Just giving it to a shop to rebuild would have been about $4k.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
17,822 Posts
I got lucky while searching for replacement front seats. My cloth covered ones had over 195K on them and were thread bare in places. Located a set on e-Bay in OE LEATHER several states away (but near my son) on a privately owned GV Limited. He was able to inspect them and also learn of the 2.5L engine that was up for bid as well.

Only 50K miles on the Zuki when front end wrecked, but not severely so. Broken fan blade was all that showed, engine wise. Got the engine, dash cluster, ECU and all of the engine accessories for $850 shipped. Auto trans thrown in! :D The entire front / rear leather interior package was a similar bargain.

Took a chance that it was as advertised and lucked out. Sat on the engine for about eight years, until it was time for it. So deals are out there. You just need to be in the right place at the right time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You can get a reman engine for $4400 😳 on eBay. That seems awfully high to me, but it's an option.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
damn, wish I could rebuild them here for $4400, thats cheap.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
reman 350 chevvy? i can buy a long block turn key "crate" motor cheaper than a rebuild. Was going to cost me nearly $12,000 to set up a 4 bolt main 383 stroker for the ute, crate engine AIR FREIGHTED from the USA and taxes paid on the floor in the garage was $9500
std 350 rebuild here (as in same specs as factory but crank grind, bore, pistons, rings and a set of bearings and lifters) runs about $6000

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah, I typed reman, but my brain was thinking crate. Here in the states I've seen a base 350 long block for around $1600. Probably get it cheaper than that if you shop around.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Welcome Tim. Is this a V6 (H25A) or the I4 (J20 or J16 I think)? How does it run, smoke not withstanding? The V6 engines have a propensity to carbon up the underside of the valve covers...
+1. I just dealt with this. I was replacing an engine with a donor which was smoking at startup but not otherwise. So when I pulled the donor engine, I made sure to clear the valve cover drains. Absolutely no smoke at all on startup now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts