Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
I have bought a samurai about two years ago from my aunt, which had previously been sitting for 15 years. After fixing everything up and getting it running nicely I realized it was probably time for an engine rebuild. As the original motor was tired. So I bought a 1324cc block and had all the machine work done to it (bored to .20 over, line honed, and checked for cracks) I decided I was going to upgrade some stuff while I was rebuilding it because it seems like a no brainer while I'm doing the work anyways. So I bought 9.5 to one Pistons, a 272 delta cam regrind, and a weber 32/36 carb. After all the reading I've done about people's thoughts on that setup, it seems like they where very happy with the performance gains. So I was quite excited to take it for the first test drive after break in. But after all that work, it seems like it has the same amount of power! I couldn't believe it.

I'm just wondering if people have had that same issue after their rebuild? Or if there is something I've done very wrong with choosing these parts? (I got the rebuild kit from low range off road, they where super helpful about the whole ordering process!) I've checked the crank and cam timing 3 times and they seem to line up (both at 12 o'clock and distributor pointing at #4) I have the timing set at 12 degrees and I've checked for vacuum leaks aswell. Could a bad carb tune make a huge difference? I still have the stock exhaust and intake on it too. Is the stock exhaust that restrictive?
Thank you very much in advance! And I apologize for any etiquette I may have not followed on this post, This is my first one :3

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well I can tell you right now, stock intake and exhaust is holding you back. Also yes, a bad carb tune can drop power immensely. But if you have all that work done to it and no intake or exhaust the engine can't "breath" as much if the volume of air/fuel mixture and exhaust are not increased. I would start with exhaust and intake.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply! And I know that people make nice headers for the samurai so I will definitely be looking into getting one of those. And probably a full 2 inch exhaust. But does anybody make a performance intake for the 1.3? Or do you have to just do a good port and polish on the stock one?
Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts